Kiwi 3

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
ottacat
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: Kiwi 3

Post by ottacat »

Harry wrote:Sounds like in issue with the car's replies. Please follow instructions in viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1933 and log a section including this drops in update rate. Use trace class "OBD Sensors" only please because logs will get too big otherwise.

- Harry
Thanks, log sent.

Follow-up question, given I mainly want the OBD data for the overlay is there any way I can only request the RPM and throttle PID's and not the rest? My goal is to get these two values refreshing much faster than they are now. I see there is an exclusion list, do I exclude every PID but RPM and throttle or is there another way? If I do exclude, which PIDS are the ones for RPM and throttle?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The only PID influencing update rate relevantly and not crippling LapTimer functionality too much is wheel speed. Lookup PIDs in OBD II PIDs wikipedia - it is the best source. The exclusion list is made up from 4 digits per PID to exclude with 2 digits for the mode (always 01) and too digits for the PID. All digits are hex digits.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks for sending the log. The log shows a standard timing behavior mostly. Replies often come back within 20ms - which is good. There are intermittent reply times of 100 to 200ms too, this will drop the rate shortly, but not should give you a dip from e.g. 5 to 1 Hz… So question here: have you seen these dips when recording the log?

It took me some time to come back because I wanted to run a test using the Kiwi3 and the XGPS160 in real. I did this a minute ago and found these results: when connected individually, I get 10 Hz GPS from the XGPS and 5 Hz from the OBD (test environment is slow, I get 7 to 9 Hz for my cars). When running both adapters at the same time, the XGPS sometimes drops from 10 to 9 or 8 Hz while the Kiwi stays constant. This is a slight indicator for reaching bandwidth limits. While the XGPS is still advertising (blinking blue LEDs for connections 2, etc), the Kiwi rate shortly goes down. This however is pretty common: advertising BT devices block other communication a lot. This is the reason LapTimer stops any connects /polling for accessories once you are driving. You will sometimes see the rates falling when waiting in front of a traffic light. It will pick up once you are moving again...

So what does this mean? The general combo from XGPS and Kiwi seems to work - at least for my iPhone6S. I had the latest firmware loaded (1.3.0 for XGPS and 15.0.0.3 for Kiwi3). So please recheck if the Kiwi3 is really working at a mostly constant rate without the XGPS. Furthermore, please search for other BT devices around. You can do this by entering Bluetooth in Settings app and watch the devices discovered. One thing you may try is disabling Optimized Adaptive Timing in Expert Settings / OBD Tweaks: switch it to Enabled. This setting seems to be not well handled by many configurations - especially for cars that return more than one answer for one OBD parameter.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Ragnar
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Ragnar »

Hello,
I'm experiencing problems with my kiwi in combination with my Lotus Exige 2006. My phone is an iPhone 5S. The car has the earlier K-line protocol in combination with a non-obd-compatible can bus. In order for this no to disturb I've physically disconnected the CAN wires from the obd port.
The situation is that the kiwi works fine in other applications, such as OBDCarDoctor etc, but I can't get any signals in laptimer. It claims to connect, but doesn't seem to recognize any packages.
For trial and error purposes I've also tested the laptimer/kiwi combination in my 2006 Mini Cooper S, and here it works fine!
Any ideas?
ottacat
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by ottacat »

Thanks for checking the log. You are right in that the OBD rate didn't go as low 1 HZ during the log interval. It seems hit or miss. I think the physical OBD connection might be a suspect. I'll check that out when I get a chance (lapping car not here this week). I'll also try your suggestion regarding the Optimized Adaptive Timing.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Ragnar wrote:Hello,
I'm experiencing problems with my kiwi in combination with my Lotus Exige 2006. My phone is an iPhone 5S. The car has the earlier K-line protocol in combination with a non-obd-compatible can bus. In order for this no to disturb I've physically disconnected the CAN wires from the obd port.
The situation is that the kiwi works fine in other applications, such as OBDCarDoctor etc, but I can't get any signals in laptimer. It claims to connect, but doesn't seem to recognize any packages.
For trial and error purposes I've also tested the laptimer/kiwi combination in my 2006 Mini Cooper S, and here it works fine!
Any ideas?
Please make sure you turn off CAN Multi Request in Expert Settings in case you turned them on for the Cooper S. Another thing you may try is switching Adaptive Timing from Optimized to Enabled or Aggressive. Finally, please make sure you have installed firmware version 15.0.0.2 or 15.0.0.3. To check firmware, you may try an app like LightBlue (free). The next LapTimer version will come with firmware version displays too.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

ottacat wrote:Thanks for checking the log. You are right in that the OBD rate didn't go as low 1 HZ during the log interval. It seems hit or miss. I think the physical OBD connection might be a suspect. I'll check that out when I get a chance (lapping car not here this week). I'll also try your suggestion regarding the Optimized Adaptive Timing.
A problem with wiring will lead to other kinds of error - I doubt it is related to the intermittent slow replies. It will be some BT disturbance as discussed.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Ragnar
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Ragnar »

Harry wrote:
Ragnar wrote:Hello,
Any ideas?
Please make sure you turn off CAN Multi Request in Expert Settings in case you turned them on for the Cooper S. Another thing you may try is switching Adaptive Timing from Optimized to Enabled or Aggressive. Finally, please make sure you have installed firmware version 15.0.0.2 or 15.0.0.3. To check firmware, you may try an app like LightBlue (free). The next LapTimer version will come with firmware version displays too.

- Harry
Thanks for the feedback. I've now got round to testing this. The firmware is confirmed as 15.0.0.2. I tested all the settings you describe above, but still no luck :(
I should mentioned that based on a previous post on this forum, related to another Lotus, I've included the following string under "Exclude PIDs": "0140015C010B".

BR/Ragnar
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please follow instructions in viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1500 to generate a trace. Please remove the PID exclusion before creating he log.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
willstroo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by willstroo »

Hi Harry,

I am having a lot of trouble getting my Kiwi3 to connected to my Harrys Grand Prix app. As described earlier on in this thread, it "connects" to the app, but no data is streamed, then it drops out, and repeats this process. I have had it working properly a few times, did a video recording which looked awesome, but its completely hit and miss. Unplugging and plugging back in doesn't seem to make a difference, i did it a lot of times this afternoon with no luck.

I have downloaded the latest firmware for the Kiwi with their app, and it works on the "Track Addict" app straight away streaming all of the data, which means to me it has to be an issue between the Harrys app and the Kiwi, right?

If you could give any help / suggestions, that would be great!

Thanks