Kiwi 3

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kiwi 3

Post by Harry »

Especially when playing with other apps accessing OBD: take care you kill them before using LapTimer. From what I see most apps are not "well behaving" and keep connecting and communicating with the adapter while sent to background. LapTimer will certainly not be able to keep a reliable connection then. Opposed to this, LapTimer closes all connections when sent to background - so other can use these exclusive resources.

Especially for newer cars (older cars add protocol issues), this will be the issue in 90% of all cases.

In case this doesn't help, please follow instructions in viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1500.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Jordan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Jordan »

I'm getting a low data rate with a new kiwi 3:
Kiwi 3 firmware reported by Harry's as 1.5.0.3
iPhone 7
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman S
CAN setting 3 adaptive
Only getting 3-4 Hz and there was a roughly one second delay in seeing it update throttle as I was watching it.

Also very confused about how to get a data overlay video with video taken by internal iPhone camera. I can copy the video to the camera roll but it disappears from the lap list. When I try to play the video inside the app it complains about having to export and re import or re sync or something with no explanation how. I can play the video fine in the iPhone photos app.

Not sure how to get a better data rate or how to get the video overlay working.

I have no other apps using the obd II data. Only thing I can think of now is that the car and the phone might have been connected via Bluetooth, although I actually think they weren't because the phone was connected to the car via USB and CarPlay. Don't know if CarPlay will mess anything up. I can switch to a regular cigarette lighter power source so it gets power without establishing the CarPlay data connection. And then I guess I could make the car forget the phone so it doesn't pair. Seems like a lot of hassle. Ideas? Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_1119.PNG
IMG_1119.PNG (85.59 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

3-4 Hz is what can be expected as long as you do not have parallel requests enabled. As the snapshot does not show "parallel requests enabled", please recheck Settings ‣ Expert Settings ‣ OBD Tweaks ‣ CAN Multi Requests is really set to 3 PIDs/adaptive.

For the overlay topic, please have a look into Video Documentation available on http://www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation. In case you have still questions, please create a new topic in "Using LapTimer". Thank you.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Jordan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Jordan »

Yes, it is definitely 3 / adaptive. Screen shots attached.

Thanks, I will check out the video overlay documentation.
Attachments
IMG_1128.PNG
IMG_1128.PNG (187.42 KiB) Viewed 4246 times
IMG_1127.PNG
IMG_1127.PNG (145.3 KiB) Viewed 4246 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You can create a log of the OBD conversation and send it to me: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1500
Please add a message "3-4 Hz although 3 PIDs/adaptive selected" so I understand the context of the log. I will check if I see anything unusual.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
jdexter
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by jdexter »

Hey Harry, I have a 996 turbo, and have been able to make my kiwi 3 work, but at a low rate of about 1hz. I tried changing the expert setting to 3pid/adaptive as I've read above, but it basically breaks the connectivity. I can't get any data to come into the app even though it does connect and say kiwi3 on the app. The firmware is the lastest 1.5.0.3. I'd love to get this working this year... thanks for any help
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

As discussed by email: non CAN cars will deliver 2 Hz at best. Parallel requests are a CAN feature and must not be enabled for non CAN cars.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image