Kiwi 3

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
Psymon
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Kiwi 3

Post by Psymon »

Ok may be I messed it up now..... I decided to reset the "Expert Setting" back to the default without taking note of what had been change. And now looks like HLT isn't getting anything at all from the Kiwi3, even it says connected and getting good date rate (both shows green!).

Before the reset I get RPM, Coolant, and not-so-accurate Gear position. Now I get none of those.

What should I check please? Thanks.
Harry wrote:I had a 997/1 some years ago. It had a pretty slow OBD bus implementation - much slower than the 997/2. Please try the OBD Tweak in Expert Settings enabling Multi CAN request. Use 3/adaptive. In case this works, it is a CAN bus and will be a lot faster. In case it doesn't, it is not CAN and slow. I think it is the later.

The Kiwi3 will be slightly slower than the BT1 for non CAN busses, but faster for CAN cars (after enabling Multi Requests).

For the gears, please make sure the gear ratios are correct. The sample 911 coming with LapTimer is actually your model. Any difference between display and reality will be due to a laggy OBD connection.

Harry
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please post snapshots of your Expert Settings (OBD Tweaks section and Accessory Tweaks). Add snapshots of Engine View and Sensor List.

In general, when using the default firmware version, unplug / plug until it works. It is not reliable and makes not much sense to debug when the connection actually didn't work. I had one situation where the Kiwi 3 connected but reported it has (mostly) no PIDs available. It missed all basic PIDs like RPM etc. This in turn lead to LapTimer "believe" it connected fine to a car which exposes not a lot of information. So it reported green. Unplug / Replug and it recovered.

I really suggest to talk to PLX on all this issues. I can't do a lot from my side.

Thanks, Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Update: I talked to PLX on this connection issues.

They are happy to provide support including walking you through a firmware update if necessary.

Please use their contact form to start conversation.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

There are some new resources available:

Video on LapTimer connection making using Android and using iOS. For iOS, things are less complicated because LapTimer has Bluetooth Low Energy support enabled by default for iOS.

More important, here is a video on how to update your firmware to 15.0.0.2 using an Android devices:
Please take care you update to the pix specific firmware version as shown in the video. The default update firmware listed by the tool (something starting with a "2" does not work for the Kiwi 3.

For iOS, it seems no updater is available yet. Please use a friends Android to update your firmware until this changes.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
jwmelvin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by jwmelvin »

After PLX had my returned Kiwi3 for three weeks without any word, when I ask twice for a status update, they just told me it "simply need a program configuration to be reloaded." So apparently they will do that and return it to me. So that's apparently the method for iOS users.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

jwmelvin wrote:After PLX had my returned Kiwi3 for three weeks without any word, when I ask twice for a status update, they just told me it "simply need a program configuration to be reloaded." So apparently they will do that and return it to me. So that's apparently the method for iOS users.
Yes, without access to an Android device. Instead of sending the device around, it is probably better to ask some friends with Androids to help. It is easy to install the updating app and loading the better firmware is a one minute action.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
azzman372
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by azzman372 »

Followed those instructions, got my Kiwi3 updated and it seems to be able to connect to the ECU! The latest firmware seems to fix the connection issues that I had experienced. The update procedure is very simple and the instructions provided are very clear and easy to follow.
I didn't start the car as it's past midnight here but I was able to connect at 2Hz and about 10PID/s.
I will do further testing to confirm this but initial impressions are that this method fixes the existing issues.

Thanks Harry for posting that and keeping us in the loop =D
Elurztac
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Elurztac »

I will try that tonight too !

Thanks Harry for the update !
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Had to go the "ask a friend for an android device" way...and boy did he let me feel it...even though I'm not a fanatic Apple user he still didn't stop asking why this update wasn't possible on iOS :cry: which in fact is a very good question...if someone from PLX is reading.
Is it just the placebo effect or are you guys experiencing a slightly higher update rate after the update?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Next time, visit me. I'm neither platform religious nor do I kick people in need for help. :-)
Image Image Image Image