Kiwi 3

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
Psymon
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Kiwi 3

Post by Psymon »

I received the Kiwi3, and was able to connect the LapTimer (on iPad Mini iOS9.2.1) to the Kiwi via bluetooth. The car is 2006 Porsche 997S MK1

Only tested it for a sort time, but it seems that Gear info is not accurate, it says 1st Gear when in 2nd, and when the car slow down to stop, it shows "-" in the gear. It run fine with my old Wifi ODB adaptor (but it lost it :-(

1) Is there a setting(s) that I should check?
2) Should I be getting slightly faster data update with the Kiwi3?
3) what's the max data rates I can get from this car's ODB / CAN bus?

Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I had a 997/1 some years ago. It had a pretty slow OBD bus implementation - much slower than the 997/2. Please try the OBD Tweak in Expert Settings enabling Multi CAN request. Use 3/adaptive. In case this works, it is a CAN bus and will be a lot faster. In case it doesn't, it is not CAN and slow. I think it is the later.

The Kiwi3 will be slightly slower than the BT1 for non CAN busses, but faster for CAN cars (after enabling Multi Requests).

For the gears, please make sure the gear ratios are correct. The sample 911 coming with LapTimer is actually your model. Any difference between display and reality will be due to a laggy OBD connection.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Psymon wrote:I received the Kiwi3, and was able to connect the LapTimer (on iPad Mini iOS9.2.1) to the Kiwi via bluetooth. The car is 2006 Porsche 997S MK1

Only tested it for a sort time, but it seems that Gear info is not accurate, it says 1st Gear when in 2nd, and when the car slow down to stop, it shows "-" in the gear. It run fine with my old Wifi ODB adaptor (but it lost it :-(

1) Is there a setting(s) that I should check?
2) Should I be getting slightly faster data update with the Kiwi3?
3) what's the max data rates I can get from this car's ODB / CAN bus?

Thanks.
Be aware the gear display isn't an actual OBD2 value being delivered. Lots of cars have in fact such a PID, but it's not part of the standard manadatory OBD2 part. The gear you're in display is calculated by HLT according to what you set as gear ratios, wheel / tire size and RPM limits in vehicle details. If that data is wrong, your gears will be off.
Elurztac
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Elurztac »

That's weird, i'm from France (Hello Neighbors !) and i'm in 6.0.1 (not the last version indeed)
Maybe it's because i use a rooted phone... I will test it this weekend.
azzman372
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by azzman372 »

Hi,
I recently got my Kiwi3 and have been having issues getting it connected to Harry's Lap Timer. I've enabled the BLE option and it is able to find find the kiwi. It eventually says that it is available however no data is coming through. On the kiwi itself the yellow and red lights never light up. After a few seconds, the kiwi drops out and the app starts to search for the kiwi again.
The Kiwi does seem to work with DashCommand however I'm heading to track next month and was hoping it would work with Lap Timer
I'm using a nexus 6P on 6.0.1 and Grand Prix edition V19.0.29
Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please check my post on the last page: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3475&p=18103#p18103
Image Image Image Image
azzman372
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by azzman372 »

Thanks for that Harry. Bummer that there is nothing that can be done about this currently. Just a small update. I grabbed a samsung galaxy s4 and it worked perfectly with the kiwi3. It took some time to connect and communicate with the ecu but was able to do it at 6hz or ~25pid requests/s.
Thank you for all your hard work with this app and can't wait for v20!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

As written above, connection making works intermittent. It is not an issue in iOS or Android from my point for view. It will work some time for one and some time for the other - or both or none of them. I have received an updated Kiwi3 firmware and the problem seems to be fixed now. I have no official information how to install the new firmware for regular users, but have asked PLX to clarify.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
mickav8r
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by mickav8r »

Ok just to clarify - the PLX firmware update will likely fix the communication issue between the device and the canbus? That seems to be the chokepoint on my Kiwi. All software packages, Harry's and others, seem to have no issue connecting with the Kiwi. Nothing works beyond that though. No data is read from port.

As you said jiggling/unplugging/replugging may eventually get you a data stream but I think everybody here will agree that is entirely unacceptable.

Just trying to confirm that with the firmware flash (which will likely require all of us to send our Kiwi's back to PLX to get) you get reliable and consistent data out of the Kiwi and into the app every time with no jiggling/resetting etc.
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Harry wrote:I have received an updated Kiwi3 firmware and the problem seems to be fixed now. I have no official information how to install the new firmware for regular users, but have asked PLX to clarify.
I was wondering about firmware upgrades too, since I haven't found any type of PLX App or Download to do so.