Ducati Panigale DDA to OBD2

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
Aussieduc
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Ducati Panigale DDA to OBD2

Post by Aussieduc »

Hi Guys,

New to forum but was wondering if anyone has used harrys laptimer with Ducati Panigale

Issue is bike has a DDA connector and from what I can tell need to get a DDA to OBD2 cable / converter

Has anyone done this or know where to buy??

regards

Ausssieduc
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Ducati Panigale DDA to OBD2

Post by bulls23 »

Look here:

http://lonelec.co.uk/index.php?route=pr ... duct_id=61

Don't ask me about bikes...I'm useless on two wheels and crash even on a scooter...but it looks as if newer Ducs have CAN and with this adapter you might be able to plug in a HLT compatible OBDII adapter.
rbono459890
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rbono459890 »

Any luck with this?
Another thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3517&p=17862&hilit=panigale#p17862 suggested the protocol is not ODBII
rbono459890
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rbono459890 »

Adding some information after much googling and experimenting.
Most importantly, Ducati Panigale bikes do not use standard ODBII messages, so there is no easy/out of the box option to use a generic ODBII adapter.
An alternative would be to decode at message 80 to fetch at least throttle and RPM, but this (at least with my half-decent Bluetooth dongle) swamped my ELM327: in any case, since messages are there, why polling them when we can just listen on the bus.

If you are looking into the option of building your own canbus monitor, here some information that comes in handy: please note this information is bike-specific, as each bike series might use a different protocol
  • Protocol is ISO 15765-4 CAN (11 bit ID, 500 kbaud)
  • the Panigale series (up to v4 excluded) uses a Mitsubishi ECU, yet not all parameters appear to be available in all models
  • Same ECU is also used on MultiStrada1200, for which there are a few maker projects available
Question for Harry:
considering a custom canbus monitor hardware that can log RPM/throttle/etc., what are some of the options for interfacing with HLT? I have seen options (a) custom HarrysLua script (b) pretend-ODB adapter in reply-all listed, I am wondering if I can reuse an existing (binary) protocol that broadcasts values.
BLE preferred to keep iOS compatibility.

Useful links (in the recommended order of reading) if you plan on building your own canbus monitor to read data from a Ducati Panigale ((899/959/1199/1199S/1199R/1299/1299S/R and Superleggera all use the Mitsubishi ECU)
rbono459890
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rbono459890 »

I went for the custom binary protocol and script via BTLE, not too complicated.
After some more testing and tidying up of software and hardware how-to instructions, I'll post the project.

Update frequency is pushed to the limit in this test to see how much BLE could handle without much tinkering, I will lower it to 20 or 25 Hz.

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The only option to access a none ELM327 protocol is using scripting. Please have a look into the Engine documentation available http://www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation It includes some technics that may be helpful for your sniffer too. As an example, it makes no sense to retrieve temperatures too often, they change slowly. Compared to this RPM and throttle positions should be retrieved frequently. Certainly depends on the interface. In case you get some binary stream and do not request PIDs individually, bandwidth is used already...
Image Image Image Image
doctorb
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by doctorb »

Hi Everyone, I am new here.
My bike is a Panigale V4S Corse (MY 2019).
I was hoping that I might be able to use a Kiwi (listed on Harry's Accessories page) with my bike via one of these adapters, but from what is written in previous messages, it may not work?
Thanks for any input,
Chris
rbono459890
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rbono459890 »

Hi doctorb welcome!

Most bikes do not use ODB-II, so adapters designed for cars based on ELM327 will not work: there are applications that can use these adapters to read values (https://jpdiag.xooit.eu/t4699-MelcoDiag.htm), but since they don't use the standard PIDs you would be on your own.

This is why I started understanding how to grab the data myself via CANBUS directly: I have made some progress and a functioning beta version is at https://github.com/renatobo/DucatiPanigaleCanBus - it requires some knowledge of programming Arduino and the ability to work with electric connections (note: you would have to join the HLT developer program for instructions on how to set it up).

In a nutshell
* most recent Ducati bikes (including V4) have a connector with 4 Pins which is used for the DDA - even with an ODB-II reader such as the KiWi you will need an adapter like this: https://www.amazon.com/Diagnostic-Adapt ... B081J2NSN8 (not an endorsement, just an example)
* you can read most of the values listed in https://www.aimtechnologies.com/support ... 00_eng.pdf from the CANBUS directly, in listening mode - this is how most tools for measuring these numbers work

The way I built my data collector
* a 4 pin connector that connects to the DDA port
* an esp32 that has a CANBUS controller to read and decode data
* a transceiver to adapt levels on the bike's canbus to the esp32

Since I have quite a few friends with V4s, as soon as the situation allows I'll be testing how much can be reused of the project I am working on for my 899 (which would work on 1199/959/1299, but potentially not on V4's as they have a different ECU)

Let me know if you'd like to contribute, based on your level of confidence in building things or not there is still space to help :)

Cheers
Renato
doctorb
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by doctorb »

Thank you very much, rbono!
Unfortunately, I am pretty useless on coding and the like + I am a Mac User.
So I might have to wait until something becomes available that I can use directly.
Hope your season with be wonderful, Chris
doctorb
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by doctorb »

Hi Renato!
After many more hours of research, I am coming back to your post of Sept 14.
You did suggest that using said cable adapter DDA --> ODB-II and a wireless ODB-II-reader (such as ODBlink MX+), I should be able to record those data types into HLT, that are also specified in the AIM document, you referenced?
Or did I misunderstand you?
Thanks! Chris