Slow update rate on OBDLink MX Wifi

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
abe12345
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Slow update rate on OBDLink MX Wifi

Post by abe12345 »

Hi there,

I have the GrandPrix edition and am running an OBDLink MX Wifi with an iPhone 6 on a F30 3 series. When I export the csv file, it only provides 1Hz data. Is it doing that because it's using the 1Hz GPS sensor on the phone and averaging all the CAN values? Is there a way for it to report as much as there is available?

Thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Slow update rate on OBDLink MX Wifi

Post by Harry »

Exactly, storage rate is set by GPS currently. You will get higher rates in realtime - for example OBD and acceleration. To get higher rates stored, please add a 5 or 10 Hz GPS accessory.
Image Image Image Image
abe12345
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by abe12345 »

Thanks for reply- so is there no way to export the higher frequency OBD and accel info without upgrading the slowest reporting piece of equipment?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No, GPS is the drum beat. This will probably change at some time in the future, but it is a major change.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
nosdakota
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by nosdakota »

Is there anything limiting the speed written into the software, meaning would I be able to get 50hz resolution. I'm considering adding a GPS to my OBD stream, but before I buy a 50hz receiver with far less support than the 10hz models available I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a waste.
Thanks
Joe
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

LapTimer is able to record data at 50 Hz, this has been tested using ASL's RaceCapturePro/MK II. However, it is the front line and not as heavily tested as the standard receivers delivering up to 20 Hz. For most applications 10 Hz will be just fine.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image