Automatic Gen II, HLT (GP Edition)

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
PeterLiu
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Automatic Gen II, HLT (GP Edition)

Post by PeterLiu »

Hello all. New to this and needing some help:

No issues connecting to Automatic Gen II to HLT. But when I open up the engine fuction in HLT, there are no throttle, coolant, oil reading. Also, the engine RPM reading has a second or two delay, is this normal? Vehicle is a 2014 BMW X3. Thank you.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Automatic Gen II, HLT (GP Edition)

Post by Harry »

The delay will be around a second, that's latency from the OBD Gateway. To check what is going on with the other values, please post these snapshots: Sensor List with Automatic connected (and engine running). Then, select the Automatic adapter and create another snapshot (in case you see an Info button, press it before creating the second snapshot).

Harry
Image Image Image Image
PeterLiu
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by PeterLiu »

Are these the screen shots you need? Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_2840.PNG
IMG_2840.PNG (139.6 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
IMG_2842.PNG
IMG_2842.PNG (111.21 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
IMG_2841.PNG
IMG_2841.PNG (188.48 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, that's what we need...

Firstly, please update to the latest Automatic firmware, 1.0.99 is available.

Not sure it is due to the firmware or your car, but at least the above Sensor Information shows the X3 doesn't make coolant / oil temperature available, neither does it offer any of the throttle options. I'd suggest you create a new snapshot once you are on 1.0.99 and we can see if it is possible to at last get throttle.

I hope BMW has not reduced their already "short" support for OBD parameters. Car companies tend to consider bus information a differentiator they want to keep private (or use it as a competitive advantage). BMW has started their own closed smartphone strategy, that's probably a bad move for BMW drivers...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
PeterLiu
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by PeterLiu »

How do I update the Automatic to the new version? I don't see anywhere in the Automatic app. or phone's setting to do so. Please advise. iPhone 6+, with iOS 8.4. Thank you.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

I don't know the official process, but make sure to update the app to the latest version first. Afterwards, removing the car and adding it again seems to force an update.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
carramrod
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by carramrod »

Email support@automatic.com and ask to added to the Alpha program. The software will be a bit buggier, but you'll get access to the new features faster.
nbJosh
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by nbJosh »

Looks like you can only see the pictures on the desktop. Will post my screen cap tonight
PeterLiu
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by PeterLiu »

I ended up purchasing a WIFI EL327 from eBay $13 including free shipping and it unlocked all function except oil temp. I went back to bestbuy and returned the automatic adapter.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

PeterLiu wrote:I ended up purchasing a WIFI EL327 from eBay $13 including free shipping and it unlocked all function except oil temp. I went back to bestbuy and returned the automatic adapter.
From http://www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/ios:
The following section shows a number of genuine OBD II dongles supported by LapTimer. I'm aware there are a lot cheaper ELM327 copies around but I discourage their use. Although LapTimer will connect to most – if not all – ELM327 wifi dongles, my recommendation is to spend the money for a genuine ELM 327 dongle like those listed. It really makes you feel better because you know what you connect to your car's bus. Furthermore we consider all these knock offs to be product piracy hurting those who invest in innovation.
- Harry
Image Image Image Image