Automatic Gen II, HLT (GP Edition)

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
sbeaudry
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Automatic Gen II, HLT (GP Edition)

Post by sbeaudry »

Harry wrote:The issue described in viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3143&start=10#p16201 is exactly the one you are facing. Your car is no CAN vehicle and needs the named workaround.

- Harry
Hi Harry,
no luck for me. I tried the CAN and Non-CANBUS settings above and I'm always getting the yellow mode. I tried multiple others combinaisons of those 2 settings without success. Everytime I was closing Laptimer and reoppened it

When starting LT I'm having sometime the automatic account page asking for autorization, sometime it goes through, sometime a page asking to open that page in Laptimer (see picture).. Non consistant behavior. I configured safari to accept all cookies as recommended on automatic web site

I installed GPs buddy ad this one show the ODB as green and provided status. The GPs screen also show some info like RPM. GPS buddy only asked once the Autorization on automatic accound web page and never did after.

Anything else to try?
Attachments
IMG_1867.PNG
IMG_1867.PNG (10.9 KiB) Viewed 4313 times
IMG_1868.PNG
IMG_1868.PNG (172.55 KiB) Viewed 4313 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The repeated authorization screens are actually an indicator there is an issue with this item. In case authorization doesn't work LapTimer will not receive data afterwards. Please contact Automatic in this, I'm sure they can answer the question if your adapter is authorized for the LapTimer app. The Buddy and LapTimer implementations are actually the same except they have separate registrations. The upcoming update (in review by Apple) changes the issue with non CAN cars only, no other changes here.

Harry

Harry
Image Image Image Image
carramrod
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by carramrod »

Harry wrote:The upcoming update (in review by Apple) changes the issue with non CAN cars only, no other changes here.

Harry

Harry
So we can keep HLT on 3 PIDs/adaptive after the update for all cars?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No, for the new version 19.0.16 you need to set it to None for non CAN cars. None is the default setting by the way.
For CAN cars you can select from the choices available, but 3 PIDs/adaptive is recommended.

The purpose of the 3 PID/adaptive setting is to tell an ELM327 adapter to request multiple PIDs from the car's bus in parallel. This feature is available for CAN busses only. As LapTimer does not know about the bus protocol currently (it simply delegates any decisions on this to the adapter), changing this setting from None to 3 PID/adaptive for non CAN busses will break communication. This by the way is the reason it is an expert setting. In case I add bus protocol detection some day, I'd use None for non CAN and 3 PIDs/adaptive for CAN cars and remove the setting completely.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Onejoe01
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Onejoe01 »

Everything is working with the specified non CAN bus settings (MY08 911 ISO-9141). I m also excluding PID 010F. However, I am still seeing some delay/pausing with the speed under hard acceleration.

Any other exclusions or other setting I can apply to help this?

should I have my car Bluetooth disabled while on track? I forgot to do that, but am not sure if it will make a difference.

Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The Automatic delivers cached data, so the update rate of 9Hz is the rate of exchange, not the real update rate. For non CAN busses, this will be around 2 Hz (which means approximately 8 to 10 values read per second). You can verify this by checking OBD speed in Data Recordings (available from Lap List - any lap). Select Charts and see GPS and OBD speeds side by side. In case you see the OBD speed is "stepped" / shows stairs, you know the reason for the delays in your. 2 Hz is simply to slow to show fast changing speeds. There is not a lot you can do about it. You may go for GPS speed in overlays (see speed selection in Overlay configuration) - at least if you have a 10 Hz mouse added.

Harry

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Sayajin
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Sayajin »

I figured that I would ask my question in here instead of starting a new thread.

I am currently in the market for a new OBD sensor to use with HLT as my old Kiwi one broke. The reason I am not looking for another one of those is because Ideally I would like to be able to use my Vbox Sport (BT) , OBD (?) and Go Pro Camera (Wifi) all at the same time using my iPhone 6.

Based upon my reading on the supported accessories page, it sounds like the Automatic Gen II allows you to connect 2 devices via BT at the same time, in my case, the Automatic Gen II and the Vbox. Leaving my Wi-Fi open to connect the Go-Pro to. However I wanted to verify that this is correct before I shelled the money out for it as I did not see much clarification of this on the manufacturer site. If someone can tell me if I can actually connect the Automatic device and a VBox Sport to BT at the same time, I would really appreciate it! I know people are saying they can use this device and a BT headset at the same time, however I don't know if the Vbox possibly uses to much bandwidth or something. Thanks!

-Sayajin
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You may want to check the FAQ on connection technologies: viewtopic.php?t=2322

You can connect the VBOX and the Automatic at the same time.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
carramrod
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by carramrod »

I use a Dual 150 GPS (5Hz) and the Automatic without any issues. It's even connected to my car at the same time without issue, hah.
djc986
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by djc986 »

Hi

I am trying to get the Automatic Gen 2 OBD to work with my 2006 Viper. I understand my Viper is a non CAN vehicle, so I made the proper adjustments in the expert settings.

I can get a proper refresh rate (~ 9Hz), but the only signal I get is voltage. There is no RPM, throttle, temps, etc.

What am I doing wrong? How can I fix it?
Attachments
IMG_3185_small.PNG
IMG_3185_small.PNG (86.81 KiB) Viewed 3704 times