[SOLVED]Those with PLX KIWI Drop Out issues - Possible fixes

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
Gibbo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

[SOLVED]Those with PLX KIWI Drop Out issues - Possible fixes

Post by Gibbo »

Hi there

Right I've got a PLX KiWi WiFi and its been doing the usual dropping out every minute or so for a minute, tried loads of different settings and seem to have come across what seems the winning combination, well for now and thought I'd share it for others to try:-

Iphone 4.0 with version 4.3.5 (8L1) not tried the latest version.

My settings are:-
Airplane Mode: OFF
WiFi: ON
Network PLXDevices
STATIC
IP Address: 192.168.0.11
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.0.10
HTTP Proxy: Manual
Port: 35000
Ask to join Networks: ON

Other settings:-
Personal Hot Spot: OFF
Notifications: OFF
Location Services: ON
Bluetooth: OFF

Car is a 911 C2S 2006, I get between 1.4-1.8GHz update speed and with the above settings drop outs seem to have greatly reduced and shall do more testing. I've position the KiWi WiFi in the centre console of the car as well as that seems an ideal out of the way position.

This is my settings which seem to work best so far and shall do more testing, be good to hear from others if these settings help or what settings you have found yourselves work best?

I've heard some download apps to prevent Iphone looking for other wireless devices, if so what are these apps and any other tips would be great and to compile them all in this thread. :)

Lastly are the bluetooth OBD readers any better, as I see PLX have a KiWi Bluetooth, is this more reliable and does it work with Harry lap timer pro on Iphone?
ben
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Those with PLX KIWI Drop Out issues - Possible fixes thr

Post by ben »

I tried all of the above except for the Notifications setting but didn't seem to have any luck. Actually notification settings doesn't seem to apply to my iPad Wifi.

You will need to jailbreak your iphone to use a bluetooth OBDII sensor. Once you do this get RockyBT4 and RoqyOBD and you can use it with Harry's Laptimer.

I have an obdlink bluetooth but can't use it yet - roqybt4 supports a single bluetooth connection for now, and I use my Qstarz Bluetooth 10hz GPS with it.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi Ben,

Can you please test the OBDLink bluetooth without having your Qstarz connected - just to find out if the connection is reliable in this configuration?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Gibbo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Gibbo »

ben wrote:I tried all of the above except for the Notifications setting but didn't seem to have any luck. Actually notification settings doesn't seem to apply to my iPad Wifi.

You will need to jailbreak your iphone to use a bluetooth OBDII sensor. Once you do this get RockyBT4 and RoqyOBD and you can use it with Harry's Laptimer.

I have an obdlink bluetooth but can't use it yet - roqybt4 supports a single bluetooth connection for now, and I use my Qstarz Bluetooth 10hz GPS with it.

Seems I spoke to soon, using the above I got 20 minutes of un-interupted video as can be seen on this youtube video:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhR4cPi881M

[youtube]LhR4cPi881M[/youtube]

However now I am getting drop outs like others have experienced, I've not changed any settings and not disconnected from my ODB2 port, so rather annoyed to be honest.

So is there any other possible fixes I can try? Any setting in laptimer I could try changing or any APPS that are known to help?

Are the bluetooth solutions more reliable then? Is jail breaking an iphone easy to do?

P.S. Is there any cabled solutions on the market which work with harrys lap timer?
ben
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ben »

Gibbo, I experienced the same thing. Once or twice, I got great data with no disconnects at all - but after many trials on the street this is a rarity and I haven't been able to replicate it since.

I will try my OBDLINK bluetooth OBD out more with RoqyOBD to see how well it works.

Jailbreaking your iPhone can be a bit of a pain depending on a few factors - right now, the most important of which would be the hope that your iPhone is not running 4.3.5.
ben
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ben »

The OBDLink BLuetooth disconnects almost a second or two after getting data... I'll try to get roqy the details.
Atomic Lutin
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Atomic Lutin »

Hi,

Exactly same problem here...

Iphone 4 under ios5 and Plx Kiwi wifi

Hope there will be a fix... :?
Atomic Lutin
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Atomic Lutin »

I just made a new test :

I installed Harry Lap Timer, and DashCommand on my iPad1 running under 4.2.1

I first put the iPad on airplane mode (was it really necessary...this is not a 3G iPad)

Then I connected the wifi to the PLX network.

With Harry Lap Timer, connection drops very very very often.

With DashCommand, I was able to drive 40km (in 2 times, 2x20) without any connection drop.

I didn't made the test with my iPhone ' yet.

'Hope it will work one day !!!