Automatic OBD can't link up with LapTimer

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
donutespresso
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: Automatic OBD can't link up with LapTimer

Post by donutespresso »

Yes, my firmware is up to date at least as of Jun 5. As far as I can tell, there's no way for me to 'force' an update on the firmware, the app seems to do it automatically, at least that has been my experience with the gen1 adapter.

It turns out there were a couple of issues going on with my setup - I had to reinitiate the adapter connection with the Automatic app, as it kept dropping connections randomly. That may have contributed to the indeterministic behavior I was seeing while trying to configure Lap Timer. Once the connection was stabilized, I had a much better time.

I was able to get it to finally connect by setting auto exclude PIDs, plus an exclude of 0110010D010F. That made Lap Timer much happier, though it sounds like your recommendation is to try to fix this without using either. With neither of the above set, I am getting the error message about inconsistent replies, which is what originally led me down the path of trying to use OBD Buddy. Any suggested next steps in lieu of excluding PIDs?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Auto exclude should not be used. Whenever LapTimer gets a NO DATA for any PID it is added to the Exclude PID list. In case the adapter behaves inconsistent this will create a full swing and no PIDs requested any more very fast. I will remove that option in a future release. 0110010D010F excludes MAF, VSS, IAT. Excluding IAT is fine, the rest not. This needs to be debugged. In general LapTimer asks an adapter during initialization which PIDs are supposed. Only these PIDs will be requested later. So any return of NO DATA needs to be considered an issue that needs to be resolved. Not resolving NO DATA replies leads to long outages of communication, reducing update rates significantly.

Please post a snapshot of your OBD Tweaks as well as the error message you mentioned. Thanks.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

For the firmware updates. This is the procedure to force an update (but you'd better ask Automatic on this):

Make sure you have the latest Automatic app installed.
In the app, click “add/remove adapter” and go through the setup process again.
During setup, the new firmware will force download

You will see when new firmware is loaded (status message).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
donutespresso
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by donutespresso »

I tried reconnecting, it did not pick up a new firmware as far as I could tell. Though it sounds like an update is pending, based on what carramrod said.

I removed all the PID exclusions, here are shots of the error message and the OBD tweaks section. Thanks for the help!
Attachments
system status
system status
system status.jpg (152.6 KiB) Viewed 5106 times
system status error
system status error
system status error.jpg (188.64 KiB) Viewed 5106 times
obd tweaks
obd tweaks
obd tweaks.jpg (129.44 KiB) Viewed 5106 times
donutespresso
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by donutespresso »

I picked up the latest 1.0.97 firmware, same behavior though.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I assume the setting below "Auto Exclude PIDs" is empty too?
Just to verify, when starting LapTimer and connecting the Automatic, you got the Authorization view once? When reconnecting, you don't get it any more? When looking into the Sensor Information again, any changes here?

As we cannot use Buddy to debug communication currently, I need to send you to Automatic otherwise. To use Buddy's logging, you'd actually need to remove LapTimer from your device - which would delete data recorded...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
donutespresso
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by donutespresso »

Correct - I authorized LapTimer once, and it has never asked again. The sensor list, info page, and everything else looks identical in the older firmware. On the sensor list, it shows "Connected" but with no frequency reading. Going to the real time page shows the same Update Rate error as before.

Let me get in touch with Automatic and see if they can revoke authorization from their side, and try and get Buddy working.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Just to clarify: both Harry's GPS/OBD Buddy and Harry's Camper are not yet fully enabled to support Authentication of the Automatic adapter. I have added this stuff now, it will get available in version 19.0.9. Till then, only Harry's LapTimer can be used with the Automatic gen2 adapter.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
donutespresso
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by donutespresso »

That's great news! Do you have a date for when when 19.0.9 will reach the app store? Luckily I have no track days scheduled at the moment (yet), but I would be glad to have this working before then. :)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Currently 19.0.8 is in review by Apple, I can submit 19.0.9 earliest when they are finished with that version. Add another week for the review.
Image Image Image Image