Automatic OBD can't link up with LapTimer

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
carramrod
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Automatic OBD can't link up with LapTimer

Post by carramrod »

Henry_Au wrote:Hi Carramrod, what do you mean by selecting other ODB adapters?

I can not re add it it connects automatically..

Cheers
Oh I was thinking of something else actually, yea, Harry's is smart enough to see the connected Automatic device. There has to be a way to "break" the authentication between HLT and Automatic so you get the prompt again. Try changing your Automatic password? Maybe that will trigger it?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You get the prompt when credentials stored (from a former successful login) do not work for login / adapter authorization. So in case you do not get the prompt, things should be fine. The other situation you get a prompt if the login has never been successful.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
donutespresso
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by donutespresso »

Hello Harry, some number of updates later (both HLT and Automatic) the rate of the adapter updates has dropped again and now hovers between 0 and 1 Hz. If I remember right you said Automatic caches the data, so even with my older bus I should still get at least 2-3Hz. Is it a matter of requesting too many PIDs at once? Here is the latest sensor info screen:
Attachments
IMG_4479.PNG
IMG_4479.PNG (222.21 KiB) Viewed 5598 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Looking into the snapshot reply times are simply extremely slow. To achieve a rate of 1 Hz, LapTimer expects RPM, VSS, TPS, MAF and one more PID to be delivered in 1 seconds, this means 200ms for each. To get 5 Hz, it needs to be 40ms and so on... No idea what the problem is. Please check if you have other apps accessing the Automatic, and check for any disturbing BT sources in your car next (hands free car audio etc). In case you can make it work, you need to contact Automatic please. I have not touched this area, so it is either about a change in firmware or some configuration issue for your device / environment.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
donutespresso
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by donutespresso »

Thank you for the quick reply! Unfortunately I have no other wireless tech or BT sources in the car, so if there is interference I'm not sure where it is coming from. I've opened up an issue on their side, will keep the thread posted.
jason_automatic
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by jason_automatic »

Could someone please explain the sensor information screenshot to me? What are the ms values after each PID? Is it how long the adapter took to respond to the PID request? Or maybe how long since the PID value last changed? Why are some PIDs followed by bracketed values and some not? What does "#1" mean? And what does "parallel requests disabled" mean? Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The list is made up from PIDs the car has available. As a minimum the hex code (mode plus PID) is listed, for many an abbreviated description is available too. Something like 010C "RPM". Those PIDs actual worked with / requested include additional information in brackets. [#1, 553ms] means there is one reply for each request for RPM. Some PIDs may be answered by multiple ECUs, in this case you would see #2 etc. 553ms is the latest reply time or better, the time between sending a request and the time the reply arrives. 553 is rather slow because this means only 2 PIDs will be available per second. The rate shown by LapTimer (Hz) is the rate of full PIDs *sets* received per second. Roughly speaking this set consists of 5 PIDs. So if you read 2 Hz in LapTimer's UI, this means 10 PIDs per second and an average reply time necessary of 100ms.

Parallel requests can be enabled in Expert Settings provided your car has a CAN bus. Instead of requesting PIDs one by one and in a sequence, LapTimer will request 2 or 3 PIDs at a time. This will increase rates significantly.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
jason_automatic
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by jason_automatic »

Thanks, Harry. Do the reply times include NO DATA replies? Or does the presence of a reply time mean that the adapter returned a real PID response?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Good question. I checked the code and think it includes NO DATA replies. My last post above has not been completely correct: the reply time shown is the average from the last 10 reply times (including NO DATA) seen, not the last one. So a 1000ms timeout from NO DATA will have a relevant impact on the time shown.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

@donutespresso Please check if changing the following settings yields an improvement:

LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ Settings ‣ Expert Settings ‣ Accessory Tweaks / Use Bluetooth LE Sensors ‣ OFF
LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ Settings ‣ Expert Settings ‣ Accessory Tweaks / Use Wi-Fi Sensors ‣ OFF

Thanks for your feedback.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image