OBD sensor data are wrong

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
argonid
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

OBD sensor data are wrong

Post by argonid »

Hello,

I am using Harry's Laptimer Grand Prix with an V Gate iCar 2. Speed, RPM, Temperatures and many data are shown correct, but the automatic search has put as data a 6 shift car in my car data. I have a 7 shift car. Moreover the throttle position is alwys green. it does not change.

Can anyone help me what to do?

I have an Audi A5, 3.0 TDI, 2013 in Germany.

BR
Argonid.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OBD sensor data are wrong

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Older versions of LapTimer came with a basic 6 speed set to allow 90 percent of users to start without configuration. I assume this is the source for your config.

Actually you need to adjust the gear and drive ratios specific for your car. This is required as gears need to be calculated from rpm, speed, wheel size and are not delivered by OBD. To do this, enter Vehicles, select your car and add an addition gear (Edit -> Add Gear). Check the Internet or the manual to understand which ratios your gear box and drive uses. Adjust the ratios accordingly. Take care the wheel size is correct too.

For throttle, try one of the alternative Throttle PIDs selectable in Settings - Expert Settings - OBD Tweaks. Not all cars deliver all PIDs. Position D is a good bet usually.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
argonid
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by argonid »

Thank you Harry,

I will check it later on and let you know.

BR, argonid
argonid
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by argonid »

Good morning Harry,

you were right. Now the throttle works too.

One thing that is still confusing: the torque is sometimes shown more than the car has.

It has 500NM, in some situations of throttle and RPM it shows up to 550NM.

BR,
argonid
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Besides the fact engine power and torque vary by car, the value is calculated using a comparably simple method taking MAF, engine type, intake type and rpm into account. There are more sophisticated methods available, but the truth is available from performance test stands only.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image