Kiwi vs OBDLink

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
Psymon
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Kiwi vs OBDLink

Post by Psymon »

Hi,

I'm a completely new user and just bought the Grand Prix version for iOS. Been playing with for only a couple of days and already find it such a great product!

I also bought a Vgate OBD2 ELM327 WiFi adaptor, and able to get the readings such as Engine RPPM, Throttle position.. etc. But I'm experiencing inconsistent results and would like some advice:

1) after launch the app on an iPad Mini, -> settings -> sensor list:
- it first detects the OBD2 adaptor as "OBDLink, then after a few secs to a min, it jumps to "KiwiWiFi"
- the ODB2 readings are available only when it jumps to "KiwiWiFi"
- Is this normal?

2) I'm trying it on my 2006 Porsche 997 S
- when it connected and get good reading from OBD, I get only about 1Hz rates
- some times it says 45 to 50 Hz, but it actually gets no reading at all.
- is 1Hz rate normal?
- is there a way I can fine tune / check to make sure I'm getting the best rate out of this OBD2 adaptor?
- is switching to OBDLink will get me a significant performance?

Thanks,

Psymon
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kiwi vs OBDLink

Post by Harry »

1) Do not care about this. Both OBDLink and Kiwi share the same IP address - the major item to identify the adapter type. As both share the same address, LapTimer tries to identify it using the device identifier and will switch the text. There should be no functional difference. The Vgate is actually one of the Chinese copies designed to mimic genuine adapters. I do not support these.

2) I had a 2006 911 years ago too and need to tell you it has no modern CAN bus. Bus systems before CAN will deliver up to 2 or 3 Hz - never more. The 911 got a CAN bus during the 997 facelift (997/2). For performance comparisons, please check viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2009&p=10281#p10281 I have just updated the list. However, the bus is finally the bottleneck.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Psymon
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Psymon »

Got it. Thanks.

So if upgrade to an OBDLink adapter I should be able to get an improvement to about 2 to 3 Hz?

I bought the Vgate adaptor purely because it's the quickest one I can buy for a quick test. I don't mind ordering the OBDLink for long term if it helps to provide some real improvement. (from 1Hz to 3Hz sounds a lot, right?)

Thx.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I can't comment on the Vgate - but a 2 to 3 Hz rate is definitely possible for your Porsche. In case it is 1 Hz again, we need to check what is going on.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Psymon
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Psymon »

Understood. I'll see how it goes after the first use on the track next weekend. Thanks for your help.