OBDlink MX WiFi

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
tdjohn
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

OBDlink MX WiFi

Post by tdjohn »

Hi All

Getting serious now... just ordered a OBDLink MX WiFi. Reason for this model is it is the only one that seems to be available for iOS that you can get in the UK without paying a fortune in shipping from the US. That gives me the complete recommended setup by Harry on the accessories page (other than the OBD).

There seems to be issues with it when using the GoPro WiFi to control both, but I am not planning on doing this, I use the GoPro remote to control 3 cameras, then will work out overlays in the future. Race render seems an option but it is very low resolution, I am planning on writing some software to do it my way... in time. For now I am just going to use the iPhone 6 for front video with external GPS and the OBDLink for CAN data, maybe overlay in HLT offline.

Reading the forum I believe this should work OK out of the box, can anyone confirm?

Cheers

TJ
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OBDlink MX WiFi

Post by Harry »

Yes, it should be fine. There are regular reports on connection issues with the MX - even when not using infrastructure mode (Gopro combo) but Soft AP mode (the default). Wifi can be disturbed by other RF sources (just like Bluetooth) and seems to be a bit more sensible. I personally found it working stable. On the "pro" side: it is the fastest ELM327 adapter I have seen so far.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
tdjohn
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by tdjohn »

Thanks Harry
macduff
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by macduff »

I only seem to experience instability in about 1 out of 8 lapping sessions with my MX WiFi setup (in non-infrastructure mode), and it could be due to a number of factors. If you make sure you have a connection (by checking coolant temp for example) before you head out you should be good. I did have it coming in and out once when I believe I went out connected but again, not sure of the cause.

Anyway, still a nice product despite it's shortcomings and they seem to be offering replacements quickly if you happen to have a particularly problematic unit.
mariofarag
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by mariofarag »

I just received my OBDLink MX wifi and it seems to be working fine with the included OBDLink app. However when i disconnect from the OBDLink app to use it with laptimer, the device appears on the sensor list, but then disappears, then shows a Kiwi device instead, disappears, shows OBDLink again and so on. I have tried the auto exclude PIDs function and also manually excluded all PIDs but no success. I have a 2002 E46 M3 BMW. Any suggestions are highly appreciated!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

LapTimer doesn't ignore the <DATA ERROR replies - other apps might do that. Check my mails for the details. The switching between OBDLInk and Kiwi happens during connection. As both share the same address, it can take a few seconds for the correct name to be shown. As the dongle is connected / disconnected all the time, you will get some busy changes here.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Lagachette
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Lagachette »

Hi harry,

Is there a way to connect both Gopro Hero 3 and OBDlink MX Wifi on the same Iphone?

Thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

It is designed to work by connecting the MX to the GoPro net, but actually it doesn't work well. I have somewhat given up to wait for a firmware update but will report once it is working.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Lagachette
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Lagachette »

Is there any improvements of the MX concerning connections ?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

To my knowledge - no.
Image Image Image Image