OBD linked to hlt but no data when overlay is done.

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

OBD linked to hlt but no data when overlay is done.

Post by froggy47 »

Android - as subject states the bluetooth connection was successful, laps were done, after overlay videos show g meter & map of course (left side data) but on the right side no throttle, rpm, gear selected etc.

So after my obd is linked (BT) is there another place in HLT where I have to tell HLT to USE the obd?

Thanks.

:)
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
Moto X/android, Dual 160, generic OBD2
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OBD linked to hlt but no data when overlay is done.

Post by Harry »

froggy47 wrote:Android - as subject states the bluetooth connection was successful, laps were done, after overlay videos show g meter & map of course (left side data) but on the right side no throttle, rpm, gear selected etc.

So after my obd is linked (BT) is there another place in HLT where I have to tell HLT to USE the obd?

Thanks.

Both GPS and OBD need to coming in at constant rates. In case you see no OBD data, it is either due to missing OBD data during recording, or missing GPS data(!). The later is due to LapTimer's storage characteristics - which stores any data at GPS rate. Reasons for missing OBD data can be on the connection side (BT, other disturbing RF senders), or some incompatibility between the adapter and the car.

Please start with watching GPS and OBD rates in Sensor List while driving. Do they show a constant rate >= 1 Hz for both? For OBD, is the rate fluctuating between a high value and zero?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

Harry wrote:
froggy47 wrote:Android - as subject states the bluetooth connection was successful, laps were done, after overlay videos show g meter & map of course (left side data) but on the right side no throttle, rpm, gear selected etc.

Thanks.

Both GPS and OBD need to coming in at constant rates. In case you see no OBD data, it is either due to missing OBD data during recording, or missing GPS data(!). The later is due to LapTimer's storage characteristics - which stores any data at GPS rate. Reasons for missing OBD data can be on the connection side (BT, other disturbing RF senders), or some incompatibility between the adapter and the car.

Please start with watching GPS and OBD rates in Sensor List while driving. Do they show a constant rate >= 1 Hz for both? For OBD, is the rate fluctuating between a high value and zero?

- Harry
I could not get the obd to be connected to HLT, works fine 100% of the time with Torque.

It's the "largish" blue color vgate one.

At this point a suggestion to just buy xxx would be great as I have gotten busy with work & have less time to debug/hack/beat on these little devices to get them to work.

Needs to be wifi/android/the car is 2004 Vette so I believe that is pre CAN bus (but I could be wrong)

The obd I have only works intermittently with hlt.

Many thanks if you can just recommend one.

Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The recommendations are in the Compatibilty pages on www.gps-laptimer.de For Android the OBDLink MX BT is probably the best choice.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

Thanks Harry!

Ordered one yesterday.

Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06