BMWWhat wifi OBD adapter

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
alow69
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

BMWWhat wifi OBD adapter

Post by alow69 »

Hello,

I just acquired Harry's Lap timer GPE recently and I am looking forward to using it. While deciding on an OBD adapter, I came across the BMWWhat app and their proprietary adapter (I have a BMW, so the diagnostic aspect of this app/OBD dongle are appealing to me). Has anyone used this OBD dongle with harry's lap timer? I am trying to determine if it works so I can have the same adapter for both apps.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BMWWhat wifi OBD adapter

Post by Harry »

It is not compatible. It is a closed system like most "smart systems" car manufacturers produce :-(

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
alow69
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by alow69 »

Thanks for the reply Harry. After a few hours of research online, its a bit frustrating that I can't find one dongle that works for both apps. Per your recommendation, I am all for buying OBD adapters from companies that have spent the money in research and innovation, but buying two $100+ adapters is a little hard to swallow :)

The BT1A seems too slow for my liking - looking at videos, the timing of the driver's application of throttle does not correspond with the graphic in the video. I assume because of the BT delay. That's tough because it doesn't allow the video to help coach my throttle application. Is that correct? and the obdlink wifi would solve that? Once they fix it of course :)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

alow69 wrote:The BT1A seems too slow for my liking - looking at videos, the timing of the driver's application of throttle does not correspond with the graphic in the video. I assume because of the BT delay. That's tough because it doesn't allow the video to help coach my throttle application. Is that correct? and the obdlink wifi would solve that? Once they fix it of course :)
The reason for this is that each GPS / OBD / smartphone cam combination has a slightly different timing behavior. GPS positions come with a precise atomic clock timestamp, cams have an undefined delay and come at best with some system time indication. OBD is the most critical as data is delivered without any timing information and influences by available processing resources at run time. LapTimer tries to find a good fit to adjust the delays. To make it better than the standard, you need to set the specific (OBD) delay for sensors individually. As an example, in case OBD data shown seems to be too late - just increase the delay setting for OBD in LapTimer's Expert Settings.

For a well calibrated system you will not be able to see the difference between a 1 and a 20 Hz GPS or OBD device in a video ;-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

IMO, a good way to adjust the OBD delay is to look at the speed vs distance graph and estimate an adjustment change based on the difference between the GPS speed and the OBD speed. A better way would be to export the .csv data and graph OBD speed and GPS speed vs time.