Odblink MX Wifi a scam!

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
johan6504
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Odblink MX Wifi a scam!

Post by johan6504 »

Hi
I ordered the odblink MX Wfi June, and after a looooong wait it finally showed up in OCTOBER! However it still does not deliver the functionality I was expecting. it is extremely buggy and unstable, and worst of all wont connect in combination with Gopro, which is why I ordered in the first place.
I have been told that there would be an update before the end of October, but guess what, still no firmware. On the Scantools site they are selling it as it actually work, which it does not!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Odblink MX Wifi a scam!

Post by Harry »

There a several complaints on their forum. On the positive side, it is the fastest OBD dongle in the market and works well (it makes 17 Hz for my 911) when using it in Soft AP mode (the standard all WiFi dongles operate in). I had several discussions with them on the mode to join an existing network (like GoPro). This mode worked fine for me during beta testing and I added special support for this mode into LapTimer. The current MX production version however, does not work mostly (in this mode). The dongle does not receive an IP address from the GoPro DHCP function - which in turn makes the MX unavailable.

Like you, I have monitored the firmware iterations closely and assume they will publish it shortly. They had deferred the release to end of November and posted they need a few more days 2 days(?) ago.

So there are probably two options:
1) enjoy the speed without a GoPro connected and keep your fingers cross for the the firmware update
2) claim a refund and send it back (I have seen several cases like this and they seem to handle it as expected)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
johan6504
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by johan6504 »

Hi Harry
Thanks for the update. That is what I like about you, always correct clear and transparent in your communication :-)
carramrod
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by carramrod »

Yea, pretty upset with this fiasco. Even in soft AP mode mine doesn't stay connected for more than about 5-10 minutes :/
jmciver
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by jmciver »

Harry,

Any more "insider" updates on this? Despite the bugs, as evident by the posts on their forum, I am still very interested in this piece of hardware since I want to only use it with HLT (and you are working directly with them to make it work better with HLT). I am not a fan of the current BT solutions on the market and I want to control my GoPro with HLT as well as OBD.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

In Kickstarter, the new app version including the firmware update, has been announced already. Due to the review process by Apple the app should appear with the next 5 days. The Android version seems to be available already - but I haven't tested it so far.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please take care when updating, there is a problem with the latest devices delivered...
https://www.scantool.net/forum/index.php?topic=10658.0

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
jmciver
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by jmciver »

Harry wrote:Please take care when updating, there is a problem with the latest devices delivered...
https://www.scantool.net/forum/index.php?topic=10658.0

- Harry
You mentioned above that you added support in HLT for dual WiFi compatibility to use the MX and GoPro at the same time. Is that in the current HLT GP release or in a future release?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

That is included already. LapTimer receives the MX's broadcast and directs all future requests to the address sent. This is necessary, because the MX does not have a fixed IP address any more but receives one from the infrastructure network / DHCP server.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
jmciver
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by jmciver »

So I noticed the new App has been up on the App Store for a little while now. Can anyone confirm if the new firmware update allows the dual OBDlink and GoPro control/communication?