Problem with OBD cable

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
olwe
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Problem with OBD cable

Post by olwe »

The car is a fairly highly tuned 2001 996 Turbo, and I used to be able to get both speed and rpm readings on the video. I use a Dual XGPS150 and a plug in GoPoint OBD cable for my iPad running the latest version of LapTimer Petrolhead Edition (v18.3.6). My OBD cable is older so I have to use an adapter to plug it into the iPad Mini.
The GPS works fine until I plug in the OBD cable at which time I gain the rpm, gear, etc., but loose the speed reading (it reads 0). Is this because LapTimer wants to read the speed from the OBD and the cable has a problem, or am I doing something wrong? I get good speed readings at 5 Hz on the GPS with the OBD cable disconnected so I would prefer to use the GPS for speed as it avoids effects of wheelspin.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problem with OBD cable

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Which update rate is shown for OBD? Missing speed is either a problem in LapTimer / OBD communication (likely) or a sensor defect (not likely). In case update rates are low, please turn on "Sequential Requests" for OBD in LapTimer's Expert Settings and check if it changes. As a last option, you can force the use of GPS speed in overlays: in Overlay Configuration, swipe to page 2 and tick the GPS Speed switch.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
sincedon
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by sincedon »

I bought an OBD ELM327 USB cable in order to use it with Torque Pro since Ice Cream Sandwich USB host capabilities and the Torque website claims that it works. The problem is that when I connect the OBD adapter to my tablet it simply doesnt do anything, but I expected the choose application window to pop up. I downloaded a usb device app and I can see that it is connected, but it doesn't recognize it. How can I configure it so when I connect it the choose app window pops up?

Last edited by sincedon on Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Sounds like a Torque topic. This forum is on Harry's LapTimer and friends, not Torque. LapTimer for Android does not support USB / cable connected OBD adapters - it is Bluetooth only.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image