BMW F80 OBD Horsepower Display

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
QuickLrnr
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

BMW F80 OBD Horsepower Display

Post by QuickLrnr »

Ok on the surface this is pretty cool. The issue is that HP is not really one of the metrics I need. Is HP one of the PIDS that is at a high refresh rate? Will i see any refresh rate improvement if I disable it? I am concerned it is robbing precious OBD cycles.

If I disable the MPH PID from the OBD will HLT use the MPH from the external GPS? So the only thing I really want from the OBD is RPM and gear which is probably a calculation based on RPM, speed and gear ratio, so not OBD dependent. I guess I basically want the RPM's to update as fast possible over everything else.

I am using an ebay bluebox OBD bluetooth unit on Android that consistently connects at 5-7Hz.
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: BMW F80 OBD Horsepower Display

Post by bulls23 »

I think HP is also a calculated value from MAF...but I don't know what the refresh rate is.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

MAF is updated every 4th request loop. Removing it had little impact on update rates. Removing OBD speed does not work as LapTimer checks for OBD availability only and will OBD speed whatever it looks like.

Which GPS update rate do you use? 5 to 7 Hz OBD is usually good enough for everything except 20 Hz GPSes...

Harry
Image Image Image Image
QuickLrnr
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by QuickLrnr »

I have the QT-818XT GPS. There is a screen on iDrive that will pull up Horsepower so I thought that HLT might be pulling it from the OBD system. My video shows HP being calculated in real time so I just wanted to make sure it wasn't taking away from other PID refreshes.