Another GoPoint BT1 Problem

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
Peter47
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Another GoPoint BT1 Problem

Post by Peter47 »

Since the beginning of the 2014 season I have not been able to use Harry’s Laptimer Grand Prix Edition (currently v18.3.3) on my iPhone 5 under iOS 7.1.2. I can no loger get the Laptimer to co-operate with GoPoint BT1 OBD2-adaptor in my 2010 Lotus Exige S. It always says something like “OBD2 rate slow”. Last year it worked flawlessly.

Searching this forum I found the posting “OBD Problem Cars”. Mentioned there is a 2004 Lotus Elise. So I excluded the PIDs 0140, 015C and 010B as described, but the problem persisted.

As a next step I shall try to pull an OBD log file (as described in posting “[HOWTO] Debugging OBD Communication”) and send it to Harry.

- Peter
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Another GoPoint BT1 Problem

Post by Harry »

[Moved to Accessories/OBD]

Checked your log. The problem is LapTimer requests battery voltage now (has been introduced early this year) and your GoPoint firmware is not compatible. Please use the GoPoint app to update your firmware to the latest available version. Afterwards, communication should work again.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Peter47
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Peter47 »

Wow, that's what I would call real-time support - I am duly impressed!

I did as you wrote. All seemed to go well till the app wanted me to "press the flash button". What flash button??? So I asked GoPoint for help and am waiting for a response. To be continued...

Many thanks!

Peter
Peter47
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Peter47 »

In the meantime I finally managed to flash the BT1 firmware. To test I did a quick run around the block. The video overlay showed all widgets in place and working :D except for the acceleration circle. The dot was glued solid to the center. :o Something wrong with the iPhone accelerometer? It worked before. Strange...

Peter
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

In case it does not move, you rotated or changed phone position while driving already. LapTimer needs zero speed to start acceleration calibration. That's not related to OBD at all - separate item. Next time, please mount the device in its final position while standing still. Acceleration shown (e.g. in GPS View) should be around 0 (+-0.05 is fine), but not "-". In case you see a higher value or a "-", touch the "Last Max" gadget (GPS / Timer View) to reset acceleration calibration. In Video View, touch the acceleration circle - same effect. But as mentioned above - as long as you mount your device in the pits while standing still, and confirm rotation *afterwards*, these steps will not be required.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Peter47
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Peter47 »

Harry,

Following your instructions to the letter everything worked flawlessly, as I was used to it last year. So many thanks for your quick and effective help! :D

During my tests I stumbled upon something which might be worth a comment: I tried to set up some POIs in Autocross mode. Doing that I was supposed to define their direction which led me to a screen containing just a "direction selector" (0...360 deg). There was no way back when done - at least I did not find any. Only a cold start of the operating system got me out, which cannot be the inventor's intent...

Peter
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The missing back buttons are a known issue in 18.3.3 and will be fixed in 18.3.4. Please check the iOS8 transition global post here on the forum for the details.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Peter47
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Peter47 »

Will do! Thanks again for your valuable time.

Peter