Karting

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
tinx54
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Karting

Post by tinx54 »

Noob question sorry..
I'm thinking of using this for Karting but unsure on how the sensors work as I'd like to add revs. What additional devices would I need to add a rev counter?

Thank you in advance
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Karting

Post by Harry »

Hi,

LapTimer is used a lot for kart tracks. Please note that due to the tighter tracks, GPS accuracy needs to be very good. In general, timing accuracy will be half of what can be achieved for cars (which cross start / finish at around 200 km/h). So please take care you either mount the smartphone with a "free view to the sky" or go for an external GPS (check Compatibility pages on www.gps-laptimer.de).

Recording RPMs would require something like the OBD2 4U solution: viewforum.php?f=28 The project requires customization but may be good enough to start.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Karting

Post by gplracerx »

Internal GPS accuracy is problematic on a tight course. A 1Hz update rate is too slow and, at least in iOS, the data are manipulated further. Here's simultaneous data from a VBOX Sport with external antenna and an iPhone 4S mounted on the windshield at a recent autocross in Knoxville, TN:Image

Each point represents a fix. In meters, the size of the plot is 200x200m. The VBOX sport runs at 20Hz. The Dual XGPS160 updates at 10Hz and would look much like the VBOX Sport data. The Emprum Ultimate updates at 5Hz, but it's over filtered, in my opinion.