roqyBT4 and Bluetooth OBDs!

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
jmciver
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: roqyBT4 and Bluetooth OBDs!

Post by jmciver »

Ok, I just received my new ELM327 BT unit ($20 generic from eBay) and am happy to report that it connects and streams data to HLT without dropping the connection. I first used the unit with my Mac connected to it since the Mac software tells me which firmware version the ELM327 chip is running (it also provided OBDII without issue as well). The Mac software said I have v1.5 (as opposed to my older eBay unit which was v1.3). I was surprised to see the v1.5 since according to the ELM327 developer website (elmelectronics.com) there is no v1.5 only v1.4 and the eBay vendor that I purchased the unit from (gosecurity) stated in his add that the unit was v1.4 (I went with this vendor over others since he was a US seller and stated the unit was v1.4 which matched the ELM327 developer website). No big deal I guess as maybe the ELM327 chip has been upgraded and the ELM327 developer website does not reflect this yet. I made a short video with the OBD data overlaid and also kept HLT running while driving around town for a bit and had no apparent connectivity issues. My first real test will be this weekend when I take the car to a track event.

There were a few other OBD quirks that I noticed however I don't think they have anything to do with roqyBT and are more car manufacture related (I tested the BT unit and HLT on 3 different vehicles with slightly different results/issues). I will make a different thread about those issues as I think it is unique to how HLT interprets OBDII data from different car manufacturers (since the different car manufacturers do things slightly differently).

So bottom line, HLT works well with a generic eBay OBDII ELM327 unit with the latest firmware (v1.5).
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

If it works, can you let us know who the reseller is, and the model number, in case he has more than one product.
h
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

jmciver
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by jmciver »

hms wrote:If it works, can you let us know who the reseller is, and the model number, in case he has more than one product.
h
Here is the eBay link for the exact item (which will go dead in 30 days or so): http://www.ebay.com/itm/290726805910?ss ... 597wt_1398 and the reseler is gosecurity. There is no model number other than the add stating that the unit was an ELM327 v1.4 unit.

And the unit does work very well with HLT. I did a road test with video in my Ford Expedition and the RPM, TPS and even gear selector worked perfectly. I did another test with my BMW M3 but the HLT had a hard time recognizing the TPS signal, otherwise everything else worked great with no intermittent connection issues. The first real test will be when I take my car to a track event this weekend.

The bad TPS signal from the BMW is not related to the OBDII BT hardware though but is OBDII software/car manufacturer related. According to HLT, this particular TPS issue will be addressed in v16 of HLT.
jmciver
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by jmciver »

Here is a short test video that I made using the eBay ELM327 Bluetooth unit mentioned above. It was shot in my 2007 Ford Expedition and I was just holding the iPhone in my hand, but you can see the OBDII data (RPM, TPS and Gear Calc) streaming without issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yAKQJW5ddc
rscliofan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rscliofan »

i think i'm going to go for http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Android-T ... 2571a0dc19

and hope it works?
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

Just to clarify the v1.4/1.5 issue.
The clone ELM devices do not include an original ELM chip. The chinese manufacturer has copied the ELM chip on to a programmable integrated circuit.
The v1.5 I believe, relates to the circuit board the pic is mounted on.
The earlier version of the circuit board v1.4 had an error which made the device either not work or work intermittantly.
H
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

rscliofan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rscliofan »

kk, i opted for V1.5 in the end. i'll report back once i've tried it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... OC:GB:3160
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

Let us know how you get on, I notice from the ebay ad that customer service is in China!
Notice they say it uses an ELM chip. I doubt that as an original chip will cost more than you are paying for the unit.
Will be interesting to see if it does come from the UK in two days.

Maybe we need a sticky for all of the hardware that works with the iphone/HRT combo?
H

rscliofan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rscliofan »

Bugger i didn't see that, it was set today as stated it would so we shall see....
rscliofan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rscliofan »

GOOD NEWS!

i'm now getting obd data =:OD

gears seem to be out though?

do i need to configure the car gears, bhp, tyres etc etc before i get accurate data?

something was picked up to do with asking me to link it as a renault? i click ok.

Happy days!

any ideas on the gears though.