Is there a list for bluetooth obd2 sensors? Android only.

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Is there a list for bluetooth obd2 sensors? Android only.

Post by froggy47 »

Approved or maybe at least tested for android.
There are dozens of them on amazon.
Thanks!
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
Moto X/android, Dual 160, generic OBD2
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is there a list for bluetooth obd2 sensors? Android only

Post by Harry »

That cannot be answered in general as you always need to see the LapTimer / OBD dongle / car model combination. Genuine ELM327 based dongles should all work, if not, please come back. Chinese copies sometimes work and sometimes don't.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

I ordered 4 from Amazon & will post the results.

:)
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

Tested 4 from Amazon. $10-$20 range.

Tested trying to connect with 2 apps Torque ( an engine diagnostic app) and HLT

All were bluetooth/android

1) BAFX plugged in to 2004 Corvette no power light and caused false diagnostic codes to appear (I cleared all codes prior and this particular car will display it's own OBD codes on the dash - pretty neat). Removed sensor.

2) Simvalley mini ELM327 (blue small size) connects to Torque app, connected briefly to HLT & dropped after 1 min.

3) Vgate OBD Scan (blue color- larger size) connects to Torque app, not HLT

4) Vgate ERUSUN (white color) spotty connect Torque none HLT

All paired with the Moto X ok. Then the fun was on with the apps.

How am I supposed to make HLT see the sensor? I clicked on the "all" view & saw about 7 predefined OBD sensors. Am I supposed to try one of those to see the ELM327?

If I get HLT to see the sensor how do I view the data? Is there a preview where I might see revs changing for example?

If I touch video is there a way to pre design how the data will look on the screen? Say I want to display revs, brake, throttle (or whatever) how do I design that?

Thanks!
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

The predefined sensors are all Wifi sensors with a known IP/port. To add a BT device, you always need to pair the device and add the sensor in LapTimer's Sensor List. Please make sure no other app is accessing the dongle at the same time - this will not work. LapTimer has a more sensible OBD interface than most OBD tools. The reason is it is designed to deliver high update rates consistently and therefore relies on a correct ELM327 implementation. So as an example, it will not work if the PIDs available requests are not answered correctly.

Furthermore there is no custom OBD design. LapTimer selects what it considers relevant for racing and displays it in dedicated areas. In case you want to design your own selection and screen layout, Torque is your friend. In LapTimer, OBD data is displayed in the Video View (gauges) and in the GPS View (lower are). Press the field right to the rpm bar to toggle between the PIDs available.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

Harry wrote:Hi,

The predefined sensors are all Wifi sensors with a known IP/port. To add a BT device, you always need to pair the device and add the sensor in LapTimer's Sensor List. Please make sure no other app is accessing the dongle at the same time - this will not work. LapTimer has a more sensible OBD interface than most OBD tools. The reason is it is designed to deliver high update rates consistently and therefore relies on a correct ELM327 implementation. So as an example, it will not work if the PIDs available requests are not answered correctly.

Furthermore there is no custom OBD design. LapTimer selects what it considers relevant for racing and displays it in dedicated areas. In case you want to design your own selection and screen layout, Torque is your friend. In LapTimer, OBD data is displayed in the Video View (gauges) and in the GPS View (lower are). Press the field right to the rpm bar to toggle between the PIDs available.

- Harry

Thanks Harry. What are pid's?

I will turn off and unpair with Torque and try all again.

Will HLT work with two bt sensors? The Dual plus the elm327 at the same time???

Will post up results for you & others to know how it goes with Moto X.

Will not get to it for a bit.

Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

PIDs are an OBD II term (Parameter IDs) and select individual values (like RPM) from OBD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs
Multiple BT sensor connection are part of the BT standard. Sometimes there are some mutual influences (they share the same bandwidth e.g.), but usually it works.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

Bad time with the Dual gps 160 and the obd sensors.

I had to pair all with the Moto X phone first to get HLT to see & connect with them all. Did not have to use Dual helper app.

Two of the obd sensors would randomly disconnect & reconnect every minute or so.

The Dual would last 4 - 5 min & then do the same.

I had all battery saver & screen saver off on the phone & car key on to ensure power to obd's.

Very frustrated at the instability with my phone & car.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I can't believe people fly planes using these devices. That would take more faith than I have in them.
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

As I remember, the air navigation apps are iOS, not Android. I don't believe that Dual offers any guarantee that their devices will work with any Android device.
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

gplracerx wrote:As I remember, the air navigation apps are iOS, not Android. I don't believe that Dual offers any guarantee that their devices will work with any Android device.
The one I have came with a small instruction booklet, that explained how to connect it to android devices/apps.

So I guess that implies it works.

As for a "guarantee" ??

All this connection seems like cobble it together with chewing gum & bailing wire as the saying goes, even with a LOT of help from Harry (THANKS Harry!)

I'll keep beating it to death for a while more. Dissappointing that OBD sensor is going the same way.

Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06