Is there a list for bluetooth obd2 sensors? Android only.

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Is there a list for bluetooth obd2 sensors? Android only

Post by froggy47 »

Had time to give it another try today. Dual gps160 seemed stable (no helper app, but it is paired to the Moto X and to HLT.) Is that OK?

4 OBD2 sensors all pair to Moto X ok, I can use them all with "Torque" the diagnostic app (NOT at the same time as HLT) but with HLT they all drop out after about 1 min.

It appears there are only 2 of us on this forum (judging from responses to my posts) that use android phones.

If you are reading this and use any android phone and an OBD2 BT sensor that works PLEASE take the time to post what sensor you use (exactly) and where you got it.

I am wary of buying a few more sensors as none seem to want to stay connected to HLT.

Thanks.
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
Moto X/android, Dual 160, generic OBD2
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Have you tried selecting LapTimer -> Settings -> Expert Settings -> OBD Tweaks -> Ignore NO DATA replies?

Harry
Image Image Image Image
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

Harry wrote:Have you tried selecting LapTimer -> Settings -> Expert Settings -> OBD Tweaks -> Ignore NO DATA replies?

Harry
I saw that and was thinking about it, but I observe "signs" and the sign said "don't touch if you are not expert"

Now, with your permission - I will try it.

Thanks.

It seemed to keep the connection a little longer but would still fail after a few minutes, does HLT have anything else that times out an OBD sensor besides the NO DATA after say 3-4 min?

I was going to just buy the "ScanTool" brand $$$$ but a few posts on their forum were mentioning problems connecting & getting data to HLT.
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
foo_fighter
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by foo_fighter »

I have the Scantool OBDLink LX and even when it works with HLT(It only worked for the first 2 sessions then the connection died for some reason), the rpm data is very noisy and jumpy. Others have noticed the same thing with the OBDLink readers, but I'm not sure if it's car specific. I too have used Torque and other data acquisition apps(same exact setup) with a much smoother and consistent data readings.
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

foo_fighter wrote:I have the Scantool OBDLink LX and even when it works with HLT(It only worked for the first 2 sessions then the connection died for some reason), the rpm data is very noisy and jumpy. Others have noticed the same thing with the OBDLink readers, but I'm not sure if it's car specific. I too have used Torque and other data acquisition apps(same exact setup) with a much smoother and consistent data readings.

Thank you very much sir, I am going crazy thinking I am doing something wrong or am just stupid, but I think these GPS and OBD sensor "programs/apps" are very "flaky" and sensitive and I don't want to "throw in the towel" but there is a limit on how much I want to tweak the settings (the tech geek in me) and how much I just want the sensors to WORK with HLT so I can drive the car and get some decent data & make a decent video with sensor displays.

GPS seems somewhat stable (and I know we are dealing with pieces of hardware circling miles over the planet) but the OBD shouls have been the ez one.

:)
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

foo_fighter wrote:I have the Scantool OBDLink LX and even when it works with HLT(It only worked for the first 2 sessions then the connection died for some reason), the rpm data is very noisy and jumpy. Others have noticed the same thing with the OBDLink readers, but I'm not sure if it's car specific. I too have used Torque and other data acquisition apps(same exact setup) with a much smoother and consistent data readings.
I do not see your situation is related to the dropping connection reported here.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

froggy47 wrote: It seemed to keep the connection a little longer but would still fail after a few minutes, does HLT have anything else that times out an OBD sensor besides the NO DATA after say 3-4 min?
I assume there is some other unexpected reply (i.e. not NO DATA) that causes this drop. Please check viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1500 for a description how to debug OBD communication. Take care you have included at least one "3-4 minutes drop" in the sample recorded. Please add a note "3-4 minutes drop" when you send the log to me. Select both OBD Sensors and Sensor Connection as trace classes and disable all other.

Thanks.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
foo_fighter
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by foo_fighter »

You mean the noisy rpm data? Perhaps that is not related, but that was only for sessions with a seemingly reliable connection. I did get the "does not receive data at expected rate" even with the LX, so that part could be related to the issues seen here.
Harry wrote:
I do not see your situation is related to the dropping connection reported here.

- Harry
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I ran some stress tests with my OBDLink MX wifi (I have no BT available) and got some unexpected results not handled by LapTimer so far. I posted several times LapTimer is not "forgiving" when invalid feedback is received - which in turn is the reason it drops connection more often than other tools. The reason this is done is that faulty replies ignored usually will degrade the update performance - which is a priority to have high in LapTimer. Anyway, to not make this thread a never ending story, I have added another "ignore reply" case to v18.0.26 that will probably work around OBDLink LX/MX replies. I will work with OBD Solutions to get that fixed in general. LapTimer v18.0.26 for Android (both Editions) should be available in an hour. Please check and generate a log I can use to a) verify my observation is the same as yours and b) track this down with OBD Solutions.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

I ran a couple of short (less than 30 sec) tests today and found the following (by way of feedback for using hlt/android/cheap obd sensors - BlueTooth)

Observations:

1) Whenever HLT goes into the android os background (like dropping to the tray on desktop computer) both gps & obd sensors disconnect. Because of the way most users use smart phones, if this could be minimized it would help a lot in making HLT more user friendly & maybe keep BT connections up..

2) I ckd expert settings Force insecure BT..., ignore no data/nak..., and auto exclude pids.... This seemed to help.

3) Some of the obd sensors reconnect automatically, some require reentering a password (like 1234 or 0000) THOSE will be a constant PITA IMO

4)If buying the ScanTool brand sensor will make things easier I would do that.

5) I definately recorded two "laps" but in my lap list I only find one, when I look in MOVIES folder both are there. Confused?

Thanks Harry & happy father's day (if it applies).
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06