OBDLink LX data list and stability Samsung Note 3, Petrohead

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
PbFut1
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

OBDLink LX data list and stability Samsung Note 3, Petrohead

Post by PbFut1 »

Attempting to setup for next weekend, the speed and connectivity of the OBDLink LX device is a bit buggy. Rarely reporting more than 2 Hz and connection up and down. Also unable to edit the list of fields to capture. I was able to do so on the lesser version of HLT using a cheap OBD clone but that device conflicted with my ECU, both on race car, and truck, killing the throttle so I “upgraded” to OBDLink LX and Petrohead. Now I'm having these new issues. Anyone else able to make OBDLink LX work with HLT correctly? Can’t figure out if it’s the driver, the car, or the car’s tune.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OBDLink LX data list and stability Samsung Note 3, Petro

Post by Harry »

Does the LX work in general? I just checked the specs and I see it misses some special CAN protocols: http://www.scantool.net/obdlink-lx.html On field selection: there is no general mechanism to select PIDs from within LapTimer. The only exception are the throttle options available in Expert Setttings. This however, is not related to the dropping connections. Please feel free to submit a OBD log as described here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1500 I will have a look into it.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
PbFut1
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by PbFut1 »

There does not appear to be a GPS/OBD Buddy app in Android version. Even going to the Google play site and looking at the Lap Timer page does not show other apps by you except the Michelin branded lap timer.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Sorry, I need to generalize that thread. For Android, GPS / OBD Buddy is not needed. Just use LapTimer, it is fully logging enabled for Android.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
PbFut1
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by PbFut1 »

Further testing including a full reboot: Findings. Speed of the OBDlink does not seem to report correctly in the sensor view but appears to be working and matching the speed of the Dual xgps160 while recording laps. 35 total GPS and OBD data fields are recording 10 times per second. Though the sensor view was not reporting connection speed and even some ups and downs with connection, while lapping it appears stable and fast. So whatever was conflicting earlier today must have cleared with the second full reboot and the OBDLink and Duel GPS devices shut down for a couple hours. Sometimes just walking away and starting over does the trick. Next weekend will be the acid test so to speak. I will report back results from Spring Mountain.
Harry if you are looking for fields to add, all my request center around engine mgt from a 2005 Pontiac GTO ECU. Nothing else is connected to my ECU as it sits in a 99 BMW MCoupe. Primarily anything to alert me to a lean mix.
foo_fighter
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by foo_fighter »

Could anyone confirm if the OBDLink LX is fully compatible? Trying to decide between the LX and MX versions.

Thanks.
foo_fighter
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by foo_fighter »

I decided to get the LX. Unfortunately the connection with HLT is a bit buggy. Seemed to work fine during a trial run(read at up to 8hz). Then also seemed fine during my first session this weekend but the second session, I got the "does not receive data at expected rate" and no more obd reads for the whole session. The last 2 sessions, I ended up using Torque, which has been pretty robust. Perhaps, I should have rebooted the phone.

It seems Android Harry's + OBDLink MX/LX Bluetooth is presenting issues for a few users.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2102
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The linked thread is more on the BMW M3's - which are often difficult to get reliable connections to (with all kinds of dongle). I'd suggest you go though the process in the following link to find what the issue is: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1500 Please make sure you start the logging before powering on the dongle - so we get the initialization sequence added for a potential support request on the OBDLink forum.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
PbFut1
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by PbFut1 »

I failed to report back on the LX device. My experience with the LX was less than pleasant. After a few tests and a bit of effort to get all connected and working I head out for 1st session. Grid up and wait. Engine having cycled twice with LX device in place and connected via BT. Start the car for release onto track. While waiting, engine running, I lose throttle, phone freezes. Cycle engine on and off. No response. Removed LX device from the port and clearing throttle codes did not correct the problem with the car. I had to fully power off using battery disconnect. Wait about 10 minutes before the Chevy LS engine ECU would recognize the throttle pedal. This had happened before with a clone ODB device when testing at home. The device will send data along with the external GPS but without warning phone will crash. Given the issue I had, I was not willing to further test. I was concerned I would damage the cars’ ECU and discontinued use of the LX device with HLT. The LX device does not cause a problem if it is running its own software. The GPS device worked flawlessly with Lap Timer the rest of the weekend. I would really like the OBD info but not worth the risk of ECU damage or loss of a custom tune. Sorry I could not provide more info on the errors.