GoPoint BT1a drops when recording video

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
espenator
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

GoPoint BT1a drops when recording video

Post by espenator »

Hi,

I bought a GoPoint BT1a dongle a few months back, and have finally found some time to test it with HLT (Petrolhead v.18.0). I'm running this on the same iPhone 4 that has successfully run HLT earlier (iOS v.7.1), connected to a TomTom GPS Car Kit. I've also tested HLT with TomTom kit BT turned on and off with no noticeable difference in behavior. ODB connection is stable using DashCommand app.

The car is a 2007 Suzuki Swift Sport. When HLT is running OBD data is shown in the GPS screen, and I get an OBD update rate of 1-2 Hz. RPMs are reported correctly, as well as a few other values (I can check which ones if it helps narrow the problem). I've switched on "Auto Exclude PIDs" but no PIDs appear in the exclude list.

Once I start recording video (started manually, since I'm just testing in my driveway), the OBDII values will work for just a few seconds, then stop updating. I have to restart HLT to get OBD updates going again. I've also noticed that if I open up the iOS Control Center (swipe up from bottom), both GPS and OBD signals will be lost temporarily, but I think they always re-connect once the Control Center is closed.

Any ideas what might be happening here?

Thanks,
Espen
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GoPoint BT1a drops when recording video

Post by Harry »

Sounds like the same overload issue just a few posts above: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2110 The iPhone4's best times are obviously over and it suffers from the single core CPU when video is recorded...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
espenator
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by espenator »

You're probably right Harry, sorry I missed that post. The only reason I have not thrown out my old iPhone 4 is that it has the right connector to work with my TomTom Car Kit... Maybe I'll just look for a used 4S instead then, if that packs enough punch to record video and handle GPS/OBDII at the same time.

Thanks for your reply!

Espen
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, in terms of processing performance the 4S has double the power and a two core CPU. Interesting enough, the 5 has 6 times the processing power... They will go down in price once the iPhone 6 gets available - at least a bit...
Image Image Image Image