Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
robgendreau
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Vgate iCar 2 wifi OBD

Post by robgendreau »

From some nice folks at this site I got a firmware 1.5 OBD reader with wifi:

http://www.obdinnovations.com/vgate-ica ... s-scanner/

A nice feature of this one is that it has an auto shutoff.

I'm starting to use it with an iPhone 5. So far connected simply by finding it among the wifi networks in Settings. DashCommand saw all sorts of info (I'm on a Mini Cooper), and I just started playing around with Lap Timer. It had some issues with my pre-existing stored car, so I just deleted it and re-added it as a new one. Seemed to find all the info easily.

It read RPM and gear and some other stuff, but I hadn't yet really set up my iPhone to use in the car so I don't have screen shots.

What can I do without starting the timers and racing around a lot to check the availability of sensors and such? I'd like to just sit in the running car and check that everything's OK before using the app in earnest. Is there a diagnostic routine? a file I can export?

Also, I got a warning at one point about a refresh rate for the OBD, but it seemed to disappear after a restart.

So far I like this dongle, but would love to test it for further compatibility.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Vgate iCar 2 wifi OBD

Post by Harry »

I don't know this dongle, but ELM327 clearly states a version 1.5 does not exist. So I assume this is another ELM327 copy... It will probably work and you can certainly test it: as long as you get a consistent update rate and rpm/speed etc, it works. To get a full list of PIDs made available through the dongle, select Sensor List and select the Custom Wifi OBD row. It will show you a long list if PIDs supported. Those with a time in milliseconds are used by LapTimer.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
sport1901966
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by sport1901966 »

I am searching for an OBD tool to use in conjunction with LT on my iPhone5S, has anyone tested this further? Has it proved reliable? It seems to be one of the easier ones to get hold of in the UK so I'd like to know more about it.

Geoff
KRBNIANWGNR
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by KRBNIANWGNR »

Hey, dear Community,

I am new hear and I am glad, I already found the topic I am looking for. Without looking up any information really on whats best, whats most reliable, whats important about an OBD II Adapter I bought a Vgate ICar II. I haven´t had the chance to try it out in the car, but was already wondering, which Sensor to choose in the list of Sensors. I am using the GPS/ OBD Buddy 20.0.8, but am willing to upgrade if necessary. As above mentioned I chose Costum WLAN OBD from the list and the window "Initialisierung pops up", I dont know what to fill in in the window? Where do I find out?

Best Wishes,

Korbinian
KRBNIANWGNR
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by KRBNIANWGNR »

Edit: Of course I already upgraded to Engine Option in the GPS/OBD Buddy 20.0.8

Korbi
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I have no experience with the Vgate. In case it support the ELM327 protocol (I think it does), and is the WiFi version, you need to find out which IP and port combo it uses to connect. Most adapters use one of the de factor standard addresses used by PLX or Scantools. Connect the phone to the VGate's WiFi network and start Buddy. Except the IP / port spec (in Expert Settings), there are no initialization settings required.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image