Re: OBD Update Rates with KiwiWifi

Post by Atomic Lutin »

Not enough money to buy a 997 ph2 :mrgreen:
Gernby
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Gernby »

I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if this has been discussed, but has anyone tested different mounting locations for the Wifi devices within the vehicle to reduce drop-outs? As a telecom engineer, I suspect the WiFi connection would be much more stable if the both devices were near windows to reduce the amount of "echo" caused by the metal chassis.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please check this thread on the line drops: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=284
Seems this can be fixed soon. Please stay with the update rate benchmarking in this thread.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Gernby
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Gernby »

My KiWi WiFi and 2008 Honda S2000 shows an OBDII rate that moves around, but averages about 10 Hz.
LAWLence
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by LAWLence »

Harry,
First of all, great product. Lap times this past weekend were within .01 of an AMB transponder.

I have a problem with the OBD update rates. I'm using a TomTom GPS mount. Everything is updating at 1Hz when I looked at the data file (exported to Dashware format). The amount of interpolation is disappointing, especially for throttle and RPM inputs.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

You need to differentiate between the OBD rate delivered (and benchmarked in this thread) and LapTimer's storage scheme. In fact, LapTimer joins all the sensor streams and maps them to the GPS stream. So if GPS update rate is low, all other data stored (acceleration, OBD) is stored at this low rate too. There are more sophisticated solutions thinkable, agreed. To work around the issue named, you may go for a higher update rate GPS device like the Emprum Ultimate or the Dual XGPS (support added starting with LT 14.4).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
LAWLence
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by LAWLence »

I see what you're saying. I don't plan on buying any other GPS units for the iPhone (I will probably move to a dedicated AIM data logger). I have used other apps that acquire OBD/accelerometer data at their normal rates despite the 1Hz restriction on the GPS. This means there is less interpolation of non-GPS data which is helpful in data analysis.
dotframe
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by dotframe »

2003 Porsche C4S, seeing 1.5-1.6Hz with KiwiWifi on a Iphone 4s.

I wish it was faster but I guess for the price I couldn't be happier. Can't wait to get to the track with this setup!
Attachments
photo (1).jpg
photo (1).jpg (86.04 KiB) Viewed 6472 times
cgroppi
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by cgroppi »

I get 1.5 Hz update rates on a 2007 BMW M Coupe using the Chinese knock-off Kiwi Wifi.

I had some issues getting the unit to connect at first. I was able to connect with Fuzzycar and read data, but took me many tries for Lap Timer to show data. It would connect, but show a 0.0 Hz update rate. Now, for whatever reason, it seems to work. Sometimes I have to reconnect to get Lap Timer to see the data. Fuzzycar works almost every time. I don't know why that difference exists.
orthojoe
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by orthojoe »

I get 3hz on my 2008 Mitsubishi evolution X, and 3hz on my 2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder.

Both of these cars use CAN bus protocol. From my understanding, CAN bus protocol should be able to output 20-40hz. Is the slower update a limitation of the kiwi wifi or the iphone?