Using GPS Speed instead of OBD

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
Cadaver
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Using GPS Speed instead of OBD

Post by Cadaver »

The gopoint BT1 in my 335i updates at 6-8Hz. I got a Dual XPS160 which now updates at 10hz. I'd prefer if the speed indicated in the overlays was the GPS speed because it seems more accurate as it updates more often. But also, other folks that I run with on the track (and we compare corner speeds etc) so I want my speeds to reflect the GPS speed which is what most other people use.

Any chance of adding a toggle to use GPS or OBD speed? Or does this exist and I haven't found it yet?

Thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Using GPS Speed instead of OBD

Post by Harry »

Please check the Speed chart in LapTimer's data recordings first (Lap List -> Lap -> Preview -> Chart). It will show both GPS and OBD speeds. Both sources have quite different characteristics. While GPS is highly accurate driving at constant speeds, it often misses peaks (corners, straights). So despite the 10 Hz update rate, you will probably find peak speeds for the dotted OBD speed. OBD is a lot more responsive, but usually a little optimistic (too high). In case you still want GPS speed displayed, the only thing you can do currently is turning off OBD altogether when starting the overlay process.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image