New to HLT from the Android world... trying to get tach info

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
normgoesracing
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

New to HLT from the Android world... trying to get tach info

Post by normgoesracing »

Hi,

So excited to finally have this app for Android, Big thanks Harry,..

I've done a couple sessions lately and everything seems to be working great using the default phone sensors... Unfortunately, my vehicle is a bit of an oldie, a '87 BMW 325IS, So I do not have ODB2 sensors to get all geeky data (being a database analyst, I love this stuff), however I have a friend that has an '05 M3 that I've been bugging him to use my ODBLink bluetooth reader...

either case, He didn't want to fiddle around with it right at the track, so I've been fiddling around with it with my daily driver (an '03 Pontiac Vibe) around my block... I believe I'm missing something though, I know for a fact that the my bluetooth ODB2 reader works with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S2 with version 4.1.2) as I've used other apps to diagnose this car, and HLT even connects to the device in the sensor list, however when I try do to the video overlay using the Dashware app with my gopro video, there doesn't seem to be any data collected from the ODB2 reader, the CSV file has no data in the fields...

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

PS. I think I'll try tracing the connection as I've read in another post on this forum, see what comes up, but I have a feeling its something so simple that I've simply overlooked...
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New to HLT from the Android world... trying to get tach

Post by Harry »

Hi,

With the OBD dongle connected, please make sure you get not only a "Connected" in Sensor List, but an actual update rate displayed too (e.g. "Connected 5 Hz"). In case you do not see an update rate, no data is coming in and you need to debug the connection just like described in the named "Debugging OBD connections" article. Please note there has been a frequent issue with excluded OBD values (PIDs) in version 17.x which has been fixed with v17.1.5 I released yesterday. So you may give this new version a try before you go deeper into troubleshooting.

You didn't name the actual recording action, but I assume you have manually recorded the drive around the block (i.e. enabled manual operation in LapTimer's Settings and pressed the buttons in the Timer view)?

- Harry

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
normgoesracing
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: New to HLT from the Android world... trying to get tach

Post by normgoesracing »

Actually, I guess I could have done that... I just created a "track" and set the ref point on the street outside of my place...

I'll try with the update, hopefully tonight if I have time...

Thanks again,