OBD no longer working after update

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
Jonsen
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

OBD no longer working after update

Post by Jonsen »

Hi, Having problems with OBD after the latest update. It will connect fine but doesn't show any RPM information.

Please see debugging log attached, I can't email as spamhaus is saying the email is junk and returning it to me.

OBD Dongle is a ELM327 from eBay. Car is a 2004 Ford Mondeo ST220.

Thanks,
Jon
Last edited by Jonsen on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OBD no longer working after update

Post by Harry »

Received the log by email and will have a look into it tomorrow. Which version did you upgrade from? A 16.x version or a 17.x version?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Jonsen
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Jonsen »

Sorry but I can't quite remember I'm afraid. It was the latest version and it came up on app store saying update available a few days / possibly a week or so ago. After update it stopped working. The OBD sensor used to show loads of information when you click it to show the PID's, now it only shows a few.

The previous version won't have been that old as it wasn't saying any updates were available. I tend to update as soon as they come through.

Hope this helps, sorry for being so vague.
Jonsen
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Jonsen »

Had a look and it was previously V17 and the update will be just a slightly newer verision as it has always been "Petrolhead"

Many thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi Jonson,

Checked the log and this one looks like a hardware issue. When LapTimer request the first piece of data, it receives a "CAN ERROR". The ELM 327 documentation says:
The CAN system had difficulty initializing, sending, or receiving. Often this is simply from not being connected to a CAN system when you attempt to send a message, but it may be because you have set the system to an incorrect protocol, or to a baud rate that does not match the actual data rate. As with BUS ERRORs, the CAN ERROR might also be the result of a wiring problem, so if this is the first time using your ELM327 circuit, review all of your CAN interface circuitry before proceeding.
LapTimer does not change protocols or connection parameters like baud rate, so it needs to be about the dongle, or your car's OBD gate way. You may narrow the cause by trying it with another car.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Jonsen
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Jonsen »

Thanks Harry I'll try tonight in another car. Worked fine before in both cars could be a hardware fault. Ill keep you updated.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Sometimes hardware problems occur at the same time one installs an software update. And software updates are suspicious anyway :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Jonsen
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Jonsen »

Very strange, it is working fine again tonight on both cars.

Oh well, ordered myself a backup OBD unit anyway. Thanks Harry!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

So it probably simply needed a reset... Good to know.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Jonsen
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Jonsen »

I've just tried messing about with it a bit more and you have to give it time with the ignition off before you switch on, else it won't read any values. So plug in, wait 30 seconds, then start the car. Simple really :)

There seems to be a delay on the OBD, any tips? As if the OBD is lagging behind. GPS timing looks about correct to me?

Video http://youtu.be/T9saXBk8FPc

Unsure why it changes its mind on the 1st/2nd gearchanges too, bit strange as the data looks ok. Doubt it will be an issue on track it just struggles with 1st/2nd gear. OBD rate is only 1hz which isn't going to help.