Those of you looking for a cheap Wifi OBD reader..

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
spets
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Those of you looking for a cheap Wifi OBD reader..

Post by spets »

Yes, it needs a bit of massaging sometimes to actually transmit data. On my car, the engine needs to be physically turned on before I get data in laptimer.

I just went to a track day and I noticed that sometimes laptimer loses the OBD data stream. I am not sure if it is the app having to process too many things or if the problem is the cheap Wifi scanner. I don't have a Kiwi to compare against.

I also had issues with the lap having the proper referenced video selected, but unfortunately I was too tired to sort out all 15 lap videos so I gave up on that experiment.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please check the KiwiWifi forum for workarounds for this dropping connections. This is not specific for LapTimer but the WLAN connection used. As the Kiwi has the problem, its unbranded brother has it too ;-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
nicbell
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by nicbell »

It seems to work just as well to me. Though the plx update is a big of gray area for me as I am not familiar with the update rate on that but I know that it varies among cars and usually gets better and better every year as car models progress as well.

That is mostly up to the electronics available on the cars board for computation. There are all terrain cameras I frequently see on stores and they claim to be very stable even on a bit bumpy rides.
bts_spec
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by bts_spec »

I know this is an old thread but I recently bought the same wifi unbranded OBD2 adaptor and cant get it connected to the harrys laptimer.

Ive entered the IP address, 192.168.0.10 and the port, 35000 into the expert settings section in the harrys laptimer app. My Iphone can see the wifi adaptor so I know its pushing a signal.

Any tips on getting it to connect?

Thanks! :?:
xps911
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by xps911 »

bts_spec wrote:I know this is an old thread but I recently bought the same wifi unbranded OBD2 adaptor and cant get it connected to the harrys laptimer.

Ive entered the IP address, 192.168.0.10 and the port, 35000 into the expert settings section in the harrys laptimer app. My Iphone can see the wifi adaptor so I know its pushing a signal.

Any tips on getting it to connect?

Thanks! :?:
you need to set your iphone to a static ip address of 192.168.0.11 and mask 255.255.255.0
i have a clone, works fine