OBDLink Wifi dropping connection

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
resmas
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

OBDLink Wifi dropping connection

Post by resmas »

Hi,

I bought the OBDLink since it's the recommended (fastest) OBD accessory in HLT site.

I check the Sensor List and the connection is always dropping, it connects for 5 seconds and them it drops for 20~30s.

This only happens when engine is ON!
When the engine is OFF, the connection is stable with 4~6Hz, but I can't see any data in video record because obviously the engine is off.

Tried airplane mode, bluetooth off and nothing I tried works. It's a 2012 BMW 335d.

The OBDLink is working fine with other OBD app, it works without any connection drops.

Thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OBDLink Wifi dropping connection

Post by Harry »

The drop is triggered by LapTimer because of invalid replies. That is a common issue with BMWs and not related to the OBDLink. Please have a look into viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1338 for workarounds. You basically need to find the PID / data that is not answered correctly and exclude it.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
resmas
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by resmas »

Hi

I tried putting every PID that HLT requests from OBD (as in the first post on OBD "Problem Cars" topic) on the Exclude PID list:
011C
012F
015C
010C
010B
OBD sensor works without dropping connection, but as expected no useful info is obtained.

I want RPM and Throttle position (010C and 0111). From the moment I remove one of these PID's from the list, the OBD sensor starts droping connection.

I disabled Auto-Exclude PID's. I also tried Force Sequential Requests.

Any suggestions appreciated :?
Attachments
IMG_2146.jpg
IMG_2146.jpg (160.06 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please try RPM and VSS (Speed) only. Force sequential requests has no impact for the OBDLink, that's an GoPoint only feature.
You may try Harry GPS/OBD Buddy too. Although it features an old and different OBD parser, it allows some logging of OBD. To enable this logging, switch to LapTimer's Settings and Expert Settings and select "Colect Trace Log". Send the app to background (home) and pull it forward again. Check you get a small recording symbol in the GPS view's bottom right. Connect the OBDLink, turn on the engine, and wait until the connection is made and disconnected again. Background the app again. Once pulled forwards, you will get a mail generated including the log file. Please make sure you do not log too long - these files get huge fast. Finally, send the log file to me.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
resmas
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by resmas »

I didn't understand exactly what you meant with "Please try RPM and VSS (Speed) only", so I tried both ways:
-Removing RPM and VSS from de Exclude list (leaving all others I mentioned in 1st post)
-Only RPM and VSS in the Exclude list

Both options didn't work out. Disconnection ensues.

I made a video that shows what happens. First, with the engine OFF the connection is fine, then after I start the engine (10s into the video) the connection drops, then reconnects, I get some data, then drops again...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_VpavuyCjw[/youtube]
(sorry for the bad camera work)

With Harry GPS/OBD Buddy, OBDLink works fine without disconnecting. I get correct RPM and Speed but Throttle position is weird. With Throttle PID Position Default and Position B, I get no data. But with Position C, D, E and F I get some numbers sometimes. It will stay in 0% most of the time since the car is stopped and I'm gently accelerating in neutral, but these numbers aren't accurate, they seem random and only appear briefly after several tries.
In the next video I only show that the connection is stable and OBD has a good refresh rate. Harold I've sent you the log but I remind you that there wasn't any problem with connection on GPS/OBD Buddy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghr5yE6IZd8[/youtube]

Thank you!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

As written above, Harry OBD / GPS Buddy runs the old OBD parser not used by Harry's LapTimer any more. Besides a stricter testing, the new OBD parser supports parallel request (for BT1) and new PIDs (like e.g. turbo boost). So different behavior is expected. I asked for the OBD Buddy log because it is the only way to get my hands on your car's reply data...

I checked the log and got it working after excluding 0101 and 010B. You may exclude 0902 in addition as I could not check this data from the log. So please enter 0101010B0902 and let me know what happens.

I plan to release a new GPS / OBD Buddy version the next days. I will enable full logging in this app which will allow us to get exactly the behavior of LapTimer production versions.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
resmas
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by resmas »

I could only test this today. I've tried 0101010B and 0101010B0902 and I got the same
behavior as before.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Seems we need to check the communication in detail. I expect the GPS/OBD Buddy app to be approved within the next day - then we can test.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
resmas
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by resmas »

GPS/OBD Buddy updated!

-How can I Save and Send the log? I can see the record symbol but exiting the app and opening again doesn't stop recording.
-Wich tracing items you want me to enable? "OBD Sensors"? "Default"?

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Just added a FAQ on debugging OBD. Please follow the steps shown here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1500

- Harry
Image Image Image Image