Oil temp for GT86/FR-S/BRZ?

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
oosher
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Oil temp for GT86/FR-S/BRZ?

Post by oosher »

Hi all,

First post, thanks Harry for making such a full-featured app for the community, and following it up with years or support. Fantastic!

So I've been trying to get my oil temp to display on my 2016 GT86. I'm using HLTGP with an Obdlink LX. I've used the custom PID as mentioned in previous posts, only my oil temp display still reads as "-".

Here's some screenshot of the sensor info, I hope these are the details needed, any help would be most appreciated as oil temp was the main reason for wanting to log data in the first place.

Thanks a million!
Screenshot_20201217-074120.jpg
Screenshot_20201217-074120.jpg (177.9 KiB) Viewed 5331 times
Screenshot_20201217-074130.jpg
Screenshot_20201217-074130.jpg (195.07 KiB) Viewed 5331 times
Screenshot_20201217-074138.jpg
Screenshot_20201217-074138.jpg (182.67 KiB) Viewed 5331 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

In the last snapshot, you can see $21$01 EOT without a reply time in brackets. This means the custom PID has not been requested. This may be due to a configuration problem with the custom PID, or simply because the sensor has not been restarted after entering the custom PID configuration. For the first, please post a snapshot of your custom PID expert settings, for the later, goto Administration ‣ Sensor List and select Refresh from the top right.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
oosher
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by oosher »

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the quick reply! No problem, screenshots below. I do get an oil temp display now - refreshing previously hadn't been working for some unknown reason, but I took the car to work today (moderate stop/start traffic for 20km) and managed to get the oil temp reading once I refreshed the sensor list again when I arrived. There was some stop start traffic, but the car is fitted with an oil cooler and I find it very very hard to believe that the oil was 164 degrees. I'm wondering if the -40 in the equation isn't registering correctly? 124 deg still seems high for this car fitted with a cooler, but I understand that the oil temps are calculated and not actual, so perhaps it's just that inaccurate?

I'll do some more testing and let you know if I get any difference results. To be fair I only got the oil temp working once I arrived so didn't get a chance to watch it rise to temp from a cold start.
Screenshot_20201221-072842.png
Screenshot_20201221-072842.png (210.14 KiB) Viewed 5321 times
Screenshot_20201221-081843.png
Screenshot_20201221-081843.png (305.72 KiB) Viewed 5321 times
Thanks so much again for your help Harry.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

164 is too high. To check what is going on, please do a manual recording: enable Manual Timing in LapTimer Settings. The next time you drive around, press the Start button in Timer View. Record the whole drive and stop the recording when you stop. Select the “lap” recorded from Lap List and have a look into Charts / Charts / Temperatures. In case you have a dashboard gauge for EOT, watch what it shows so we can understand the relation. In case your LapTimer edition doesn’t show temperatures, export the lap to HLPTRL and send it to me.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
oosher
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by oosher »

Great thanks Harry.

So before I saw your post yesterday I took the drive home and monitored engine stats again, however this time I was back to the "-" for oil temp reading, although I had changed no settings between then and the morning when it read as 164 deg. This leads me to believe there could be another kind of bluetooth or device issue, but I'm not sure yet. Will need to try and test on a different device to eliminate that possibility.

This morning I took the drive to work using manual timing in timer view as suggested, so I should be able to get that data to you... but embarrassingly, I cannot find it. I go to the lap list > select the lap > and from there if I press "data recording preview" or "lap time" it brings me to the screen which has the Map/Charts/Laps headings at the top. I'll go to charts but can't see a further charts link or temperatures. The 10th chart is coolant temperature, but I can't see oil anywhere, and I can't see the option to export from this screen. Also, another newbie question, what is EOT?

I have exported the entire lap HLPTRL (attached) data so hopefully that still has the details we need? My apologies for my newbie-ness Harry.
LapTimer-0055-20201222-082343.hlptrz
(92.22 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

EOT (which is engine oil temperature) is shown together with ECT (engine coolant temperature) in the named chart. In case you see ECT only, reading EOT didn't work and the .hlptrl file will not help to understand what is going on. Instead, we need to check if the custom PID is requested at all and what the adapter responds on requests. To do this, please follow instructions in viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1500 and send the log file.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
oosher
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by oosher »

Ok Harry I've sent you a file with some notes, hope I've done things correctly. Cheers!
oosher
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by oosher »

Just to update anyone following this - Harry helped find an issue after a few emails/log files. Thanks again Harry.