Oil temp for GT86/FR-S/BRZ?

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Oil temp for GT86/FR-S/BRZ?

Post by gplracerx »

philooo wrote:I just wanted to BEG to my knees for a solution to log oil temp in HLT :)

I LOVE HLT but I am really missing some precious data login for our SCION FRS/TOYOTA GT86.

I am currently contemplating going to AIM SOLO to get this info but I would really prefer to stick with HTL considering I had invested in the Vbox Sport already.

Please please please... do something to get more PID supported for the FRS :)
I don't think you understand the difficulty of your request. It's not just writing a few lines of code. Harry doesn't have a room full of coders, it's just him. I'd like to have the individual wheel speeds from the ABS controller, but I'm not holding my breath. If something like oil temperature is critical, put an after market gauge on the car.
rscliofan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rscliofan »

There is nothing to say how accurate the oil temp is anyway. A lot of the newer cars calculate the temp rather than have a sensor, not sure if this is the case in the gt86.
philooo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by philooo »

I just wanted to bump this function of oil temp for the SUBARU BRZ / SCION FRS / TOYOTA GT86 ;)
many of use are hitting the track with these cars and that would be really cool to have.

a quick video of mine.. .only missing oil temps ;)

https://youtu.be/JwZk64E97Ko
tofujoe
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by tofujoe »

What is the current 2017 status for showing oil temp on a BRZ/FR-S/GT-86? I just bought the Petrolhead edition and don't see oil temp. I'm using a Veepeak OBD2 Wi-Fi device with an iPhone 6 Plus. Could it be the Veepeak device isn't sending the PID? Do I need the Grand Prix edition to see oil temp? OBD2 readout attached. Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_0547.PNG
IMG_0547.PNG (195.56 KiB) Viewed 12920 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The PID 015C is missing - which means oil temperature is not mapped to your car's OBD port. In case a car manufacturer does not support the mapping, only custom PIDs can be a work around. These however are not yet supported by LapTimer. Even worse, these PIDs are by car / model and kept secret by car manufacturers.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
tofujoe
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by tofujoe »

Thanks, Harry.

For reference, here's the oil temp PID for the FR-S that works in the Torque app:

OBD2 Mode and PID: 2101
Minimum Value: -40
Maximum Value: 215 (this is just the maximum that this location can support, which does not mean the sensor can read that high)
Scale factor: x1
Unit type: C
Equation: AC-40 (no space between A and C; "AC" is the location within the response)
OBD Header: 7E0 (Auto also works, but seems to take longer)

I would pay an extra 5 bucks as an in-app purchase to get this info for my FR-S. Heck, I paid an extra $10 to have it work on DashCommand. :)
Cirinzo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Cirinzo »

Been using HLT for 2.5years now mainly for timer during my HPDE days, now im doing TT for EMRAracing.org and somewhat getting serious tracking my car, wanted to link up my oil temperature. I have gopoint odb bluetooth, and attached the sensor list, how come my oil temperature doesnt want to show up.

https://i.imgur.com/mYfCkgd.png
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Your car does not provide oil temperature using the standard OBD PID (015C). You get engine coolant, catalyst, and intake air temperatures, but not oil.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Cirinzo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Cirinzo »

But using the dash command app, i get oil temperature.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Dash command uses custom PIDs for a selected number of models.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image