Oil temp for GT86/FR-S/BRZ?

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
TemeCal
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Oil temp for GT86/FR-S/BRZ?

Post by TemeCal »

I'm hoping to log oil temps at my next track day. I just purchased the GoPoint BT1, but now realize that the PID may not be known by HLT. Can anyone confirm if HLT will report oil temps for the Toyota GT86, Scion FR-S, or Subaru BRZ?

The PID has been determined, so I'm hoping it has been (or can be) added to HLT. Here is the PID info I found on another forum:

OBD2 Mode and PID: 2101
Minimum Value: -40
Maximum Value: 215 (this is just the maximum that this location can support, which does not mean the sensor can read that high)
Scale factor: x1
Unit type: C
Equation: AC-40 (no space between A and C; "AC" is the location within the response)
OBD Header: 7E0 (Auto also works, but seems to take longer)

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Oil temp for GT86/FR-S/BRZ?

Post by Harry »

Oil temperature is PID 015C and is supported by LapTimer (check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs for the OBD II definitions). Not sure where this 2101 is from but it does not look like a standard OBD Mode/PID at all? The problem is usually by far not all cars support oil temp (015C), i.e. do not deliver this value to the OBD gateway. LapTimer gives you an overview on all PIDs you car supports:

LapTimer ‣ Sensor List ‣ your OBD sensor (needs to be connected) ‣ select row

A sample (plus some comments) can be seen here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1338#p6641

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
TemeCal
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by TemeCal »

Thanks for the quick response, Harry. I went ahead and ordered the GoPoint BT1. It should be here tomorrow, then I can confirm if oil temp is showing. This was really the only reason I purchased the BT1, because I want to review my oil temps during a track session.

The 2101 I mentioned was from this thread, where FT86 drivers are trying to get the oil temperature to work in the Android Torque app. I assumed it was a standard OBD PID, but it doesn't look like that the case :)

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthre ... post709201

Anyway, I'll know more tomorrow when I get the BT1 and try to log some oil temps.

Thanks again.
TemeCal
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by TemeCal »

Harry-
I just received the BT1, and HLT shows me everything but oil temp (kind of what I figured). After reviewing posts from other FT86 owners trying to get oil temp working in the Android Torque app, I found that Toyota/Subaru has used a non-standard PID for oil temp.

The 2101 is indeed the PID for oil temp on our cars. Is there any way I can add this PID under advanced settings or something? Is there anything else I can do to get oil temp working with our car? It does get logged, just under a non-standard PID. Here is the response from the 2101 PID:

http://pastebin.com/D1gkE1f5

Thanks!
TemeCal
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by TemeCal »

Okay...I took a snapshot of my sensor list. It doesn't look like 015C is available. This makes sense, since Toyota/Subaru uses a non-standard PID for oil temp (2101). So, I guess my next question is...is it possible for me to add this? Is there anything I can do to somehow include this non-standard PID?

Thanks again!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Adding a non standard PID 2101 is non-trivial: new mode to support, and the response looks like it delivers not only oil temperature but other stuff too (overall 31 bytes, while the standard uses 4). I have a configurable OBD parser on my list for future releases that will help here, but please understand I cannot start adding PIDs for individual cars. That would completely overload me...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
TemeCal
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by TemeCal »

That's completely understandable, Harry. I certainly didn't expect you to make all of these changes...I was more curious if there was something I could do on my end. It is more of a "nice-to-have" on my end.

Anyway, I really appreciate all your hard work. I'll continue enjoying HLT as much as I do...

Thanks
Psychomax1983
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Psychomax1983 »

Are there any plans in the future to configurate custom PIDs? :)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I have a "Harry's OBD Wizard" on my *long term* to do list :-)
Image Image Image Image
philooo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by philooo »

I just wanted to BEG to my knees for a solution to log oil temp in HLT :)

I LOVE HLT but I am really missing some precious data login for our SCION FRS/TOYOTA GT86.

I am currently contemplating going to AIM SOLO to get this info but I would really prefer to stick with HTL considering I had invested in the Vbox Sport already.

Please please please... do something to get more PID supported for the FRS :)