OBD2 bluetooth and external GPS bluetooth

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
doborder
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

OBD2 bluetooth and external GPS bluetooth

Post by doborder »

In anticipation of Version 13 with OBD support, I was interested in finding out whether the iphone and also the laptimer pro can support both a ext bluetooth GPS and also a OBD 2 device to provide more information for accurate video overlay. Currently I have Qstarz BT GPS on a jailbroke iphone, but was interested in getting OBD 2 info on my video overlay. A little guidance please.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OBD2 bluetooth and external GPS bluetooth

Post by Harry »

Hi,

By the way - LapTimer Pro v13 is available in App Store now (just a few minutes ago).

Although the PCX KiwiWifi (only supported OBD sensor currently) uses Wifi and your Qstarz uses Bluetooth, there seem to be some interferences between the two. One of my beta users reported, that fixes sometimes did not come in continuously when using both at the same time. As BTStack GPS passes on the original timestamp, this will not have an impact on timing accuracy but only results in some poor online display effects.

- Harry

P.S. Please note that the PCX Kiwi Bluetooth does not work with the iPhone! You need the Wifi version or wait for future options.
Image Image Image Image
doborder
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by doborder »

When will the laptimer pro support both OBD 2 bluetooth and GPS bluetooth to run together on the iphone 4G
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

The only BT connector announced to be certified by Apple is the Griffin Cartrip http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/cartrip. I will try to support it as soon as it is available. Any pointer for other devices welcome.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
doborder
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by doborder »

how about OBD key?
Also, from what I understand, only bluetooth one device can be connected through BTstack at one time... can you run both for iphone with laptimer pro???

Michael
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi Michael,

In general, BT can connect to more than one device at the same time. Please contact the BTStack GPS author for more information on this. The OBD key is available as a Wifi edition. I did not get one into my hands to test / configure. In case there is anyone out there who can support me with testing / adopting this (i. e. has such a device, runs LapTimer, and is willing to go through testing), please contact me at LapTimer at gmx.de.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
doborder
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by doborder »

So looks like the best options for both GPS and OBD 2 is Bad elf for GPS and Griffin Cartrip for Bluetooth is that correct? I think I will wait for these items to become available before I make any more purchases...
The reason why I am interested in two bluetooth devices is to avoid draining the battery too fast. Wifi seems to do that
Is the Bad Elf already updating at > 1hz??? If not when will it be updating at >1Hz
Also, BT Stack GPS will not allow you to run more than one device. roqyGPS will allow one to run more than one bluetooth device

Michael
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

So looks like the best options for both GPS and OBD 2 is Bad elf for GPS and Griffin Cartrip for Bluetooth is that correct? I think I will wait for these items to become available before I make any more purchases...
Yes, I'd suggest as both are not yet tested. I'll report in this forum and on the Compatibility page on www.gps-laptimer.de once things change.
The reason why I am interested in two bluetooth devices is to avoid draining the battery too fast. Wifi seems to do that
And yes, that is a real problem with Wifi (and actually the reason BT was invented).

- Harald
Image Image Image Image
Siftah
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Siftah »

It would be great to support the ELMCan WiFi module too, as this is one which a few iPhone owners may have as it works with DevToasters REV software...

http://www.obd-2.de/kabelec.html
http://www.obd-2.de/news-rev.html

(I'd personally love to see a bluetooth compatible version to work with some of the cheaper bluetooth interfaces available from DealExtreme too)

:)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

In case anybody out there has either an OBDLink WLAN or an ElmCan-II WLAN available, and is willing to do some testing, please contact me at LapTimer@gmx.de

- Harry
Image Image Image Image