BMW vrs GoPoint BT1

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
mousemaster
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

BMW vrs GoPoint BT1

Post by mousemaster »

I wish I had spent some time in the forums before purchasing my BT1. As I see from a previous post, my 2004 M3 does not talk to the BT1 bluetooth device. I have started a dialog with that company but after purchasing the unit and their dash command app, I hope they will take it back.

Unless?

Is there a way to get the BMW M3 and the BT1 to communciate?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BMW vrs GoPoint BT1

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Although there are issues with BMWs and OBD, I do not see a reason a 2004 M3 should not work in general. Lets try to understand what is going on - which of the following items work / do not work.
  • Pairing the devices - can you connect your BT1 to your BMW using the iPhone's Bluetooth pairing dialog?
  • Once paired, do you get the BT1 reported in DashCommand?
  • Once paired, do you get the BT1 displayed as available or connected in LapTimer's Sensors List?
What else can you report? Anything else you see / do not see?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
mousemaster
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by mousemaster »

Harry wrote:Hi,

Although there are issues with BMWs and OBD, I do not see a reason a 2004 M3 should not work in general. Lets try to understand what is going on - which of the following items work / do not work.
  • Pairing the devices - can you connect your BT1 to your BMW using the iPhone's Bluetooth pairing dialog? After a number of attempts, the BT1 seems to see the bluetooth unit. It does not report any data however and leaves me thinking it is not really seeing the vehicle. However, when I pair it to my 2001 MB S430 it acts properly. It recognizes the car and will report vehicle data. It does not report the VIN however.
  • Once paired, do you get the BT1 reported in DashCommand? With the BMW M3, the program has no functionality. Nothing shows. We left it hooked up for a long time and eventually there were some secondary paramters showing on some of the pages. The primary page parameters never would display data. An example is that it never would show the RPM of the engine. Changing vehicles to the MB, all parameters show.
  • Once paired, do you get the BT1 displayed as available or connected in LapTimer's Sensors List?
Using the M3, no data is transfered to your program. I did not try this feature with the MB.

What else can you report? Anything else you see / do not see? I am using OS 4.3.5 in an IPhone 4. Today, I will take the plunge and upgrade to OS 6.1. I also purchased the Emprum GPS sensor. That unit is having issues as well. I contacted them via email and got very prompt replies (on a Sunday !!!). When I press the "hardware, preferences, or I" tabs on the program, the program crashes and closes. The actual unit does work but would not communicate with your program. The help desk recommended I try to upgrade the OS or restore my phone OS. I will attempt to upgrade today. Pray for success.
I would like to say that I tried your program on a few test drives. I like it very much. It is a high quality product with many desirable features. You have done great work and it is obvious you have a fantastic background in programming and driving----an excellent combination !

Morning Post Script: I have successfully installed OS 6.1 The GPS device works properly and is recognized by your program. I will give the BT1 a try later in the day. ----Ed

- Harry
mousemaster
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by mousemaster »

I have been in contact with the GoPoint Technology support team via email. Their comments are below:

Compatibility issues have been a problem with the M3. Engineering is working on a solution and I would expect updated firmware is needed.
Best regards,
Tod Hamilton
GoPoint Technology Support Team

I wrote back asking when the firmware update for this problem would be available. If not, I told them I would like to return the unit. I will keep everyone posted on the progress of this situation. However, in the mean time, I would suggest that other E46 M3 owners carefully consider any purchase. Additionally, the dash command app on the IPhone is rather useless without this hardware. That app was $50 by itself.

Ouch.
F-Stop Junkie
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by F-Stop Junkie »

Hi, I had some similar problems with mine: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=650

There has been a recent firmware update, but I don't hold out hope on it working.

I'm planning to get a Kiwi 2 now instead.
mousemaster
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by mousemaster »

Did you get the Kiwi 2 unit?

I would only like a bluetooth device. Is the Kiwi unit bluetooth and compatible with the S54 in an M3?

Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The Kiwi BT unit is not compatible with the iPhone...
Image Image Image Image
mousemaster
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by mousemaster »

Hello Harry
The new update looks good and I thank you for continuously updating your great product.

Do any of the recent updates either with your program or with the BT1 product now allow the BMW M3 S54 engine to communicate with your lap timer?

Thank you.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Not yet, but I'm in the process of debugging this beast with a user. I have planned to have this finally fixes in 17.0.4

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
mousemaster
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by mousemaster »

The folks at BT1 said they will eventually have a firmware update. Are you working with them?