[PLEASE VOTE] LapTimer v20 Feature Priorities

This forum covers all topics on Harry's LapTimer Rookie, Petrolhead, GrandPrix editions, as well as branded LapTimer versions.

LapTimer v20 Features

Hardware accelerated video overlaying (Android)
11%
AppleTV (new generation) app for driving analytics
2%
Support for incomplete, manual and certified laps
5%
MacOSX app for driving analytics and video overlaying
9%
External cam only mode (i.e. internal cam is off)
21%
More options for video overlays
19%
Performance Testing (acceleration distance / speed range)
9%
Cloud based storage (access from multiple devices)
6%
More sensor support (comment on type required)
6%
Better / more data analytics
13%

Total votes: 247
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: [PLEASE VOTE] LapTimer v20 Feature Priorities

Post by gplracerx »

ereynold60 wrote:I would like to be able to manually configure MIN and MAX THROTTLE values via an expert setting... the current method of deriving these values by observing the OBD values just isn't working. The Throttle PID replies with a range of 0-255, and varies greatly between vehicles.

In my case, with a PDK gearbox, when downshifting, there is an abnormally high value emitted for the throttle associated with a rev-match for the downshift.

LapTimer then uses that as the MAX, which you can never get with your right foot ;-) Then the rest of my overlays looks like I'm at 75% throttle, while my foot is actually down to the floor.

LapTimer isn't doing anything 'wrong'... but a workaround would allow users the manually enter values from 0-255 for MIN and MAX throttle. (expert setting).

One needs to do a OBD sensor trace to determine these values, which I have done previously.

Thanks for consideration
I'll second that.

However, until that happens, you might want to try a different throttle PID. If you're in luck, there will be one for actual pedal position. You can select them in Expert Settings/OBD Tweaks/Throttle PID.
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

gplracerx is right about that. At first my overlays didn't match what I thought should be the pedal position. Turns out my car has 4 different PIDs for that, some of them delivering the throttle body position sensor value which for drive by wire cars will basically never be the pedal position. Try the different PIDs of your car (if available), one at least should be the pedal sensor.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Remember that any change in Settings won't take effect until you send the program to the background and bring it back.
MX5RACER
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by MX5RACER »

Works with Megasquirt PLEASE!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

MX5RACER wrote:Works with Megasquirt PLEASE!
I have this on my list but need someone around Cologne/Germany to provide a test car. :-) I really can't do it without.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
nosdakota
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by nosdakota »

Hi Harry
I would really like to see some more flexibility in what OBD data is displayed and the way it is displayed in the overlay. Even if it is just one PID that is configurable.
I am using an Arduino to simulate an OBD2 feed and it would be nice to add braking to the data I'm collecting instead of relying on the accelerometer or logging it as coolant temp.
And if this is a wish list a nice red bar right near the throttle overlay would be great!

Thanks, and it's been a great product for a few years now.
Iadapt
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Iadapt »

Hi Harry,
Does "Hardware accelerated video overlaying (Android)" include Android grand prix having the ability to watch the timer run whilst recording video?
(I'm still waiting for this to make the app of any use in Android.)

Thanks,
Colin.
_sadpanda
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Expand OBD II/CAN support

Post by _sadpanda »

I've been looking into budget data logging wares and the biggest thing holding HLT back is robust OBD support.

Specifically user definable OBD/CAN PIDs. Instead of trying to cover all of the non-standard implementations just give us an 'advanced' tab to enter our own PID, name it, select a graph style and perhaps a formula line to make any adjustments. Or just a full on advanced PID table so we can remove unused streams at the same time. This takes care of BMW/GTR/GM odd ball PIDS, advanced functions like wheels speed, tire pressure/temp etc. as well as aftermarket ECU's like MegaSquirt, Holley/Fast EFI

Along that line, messing about with BT and wifi adapters seems silly. How about support for a USB dongle... even if its just one. They are as cheap as the worst wireless knockoffs and the data transfer not only puts the wireless rates to shame but is rock solid to boot. That would free up comms for GPS etc.

Why not go USB for GPS too? Many Garmin GPS units have USB outputs for exactly this application

How about a free crippled version so you can test hardware combinations and OBD compatibility before purchase.

It has been asked for before but outputting only the overlay with chroma key would be helpful and perhaps not as cumbersome as you mentioned in other threads ie. all you have to do is let the user select the gauge opacity and a chroma color.

HLT seems to be THE defacto standard if you are running on closed tracks, however, it seems to fall flat when dealing with hill climbs and auto-x events. A better 'learn track' mode would be helpful especially for those that only get to walk the track. Perhaps different modes, ie straight run, single lap, multilap? What about google maps/earth integration? This would give you some slick overlays (topology for hill climb etc). How about a wizard that lets you plan a route with google maps then lets you dump that route to HLT as a track and use the speed limit data from google as your previous run data. Super handy for those doing historical road rallies etc.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks for the feedback.

Custom PIDs are on my list for a future release.

Wired accessories - especially modern ones - have become rare these days. Which device do you consider a valid option? USB will be limited to Android too as long as long as the accessory is not "Made for iPhone".

For sensor testing on iOS, use Harry's GPS/OND Buddy - it is free. For Android, load the full app and use the 20 minute period return to play with an adapter.

Blue box like output is on the list for a future release.

Hill climbs, or more general, one way tracks are fully supported. Use either the AX Assistant or set up custom triggers using the built in map view (Analysis / Realtime / Map).

Export to Google Earth is available already. Use the .kml export for this. For iOS, there is a one button "export and show in Google Earth" available in Lap Details too.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
_sadpanda
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by _sadpanda »

Re: wired OBD, the same people who make the lauded MX come to mind:

https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-sx/

Thanks for the input on the others. I wonder how many times you can load/return an app...