Garmin GLO GPS support

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
StigSarre
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Garmin GLO GPS support

Post by StigSarre »

Hi there. :)

Since I am not using any Apple products, I was wondering how the Garmin GLO is working with an Android device?

If not very good, which GPS would you recommend for Android now?

Best regards
Stig Sarre
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

While not recommended for iOS (they do not allow a direct integration on Apple's platform and do not achieve the advertised 10 Hz), it should actually work just like any NMEA GPS on the Android version. I just tested it and it connects and LapTimer reports 10 Hz. I have not ran any recording, so I cannot comment on accuracy etc.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
kofiboakye
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by kofiboakye »

Hello all, I've just bought the Garmin Glo and updated the firmware, via Harry's lap timer app I'm getting up to 9Hz but my on-track results are poor. As a customer I'm happy to contact Garmin support to push them to offer developer support for you, I think that's what is needed, right?

I can't seem to find the appropriate email, does anybody have their contact details, not the sales one.

ta
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Android or iOS? For Android there has been a problem with all LapTimer versions up to 18.0.5 - it reported 10 Hz but stored 1 Hz only. This is fixed in the latest version. For iOS, the GLO is not a perfect solution as long as a direct integration is not possible.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
kofiboakye
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by kofiboakye »

I have the latest version of Harry's Laptimer on my iPhone 5s. If you have an email for Garmin, I'll ask them when they'll allow direct integration, otherwise I'll sell it and buy the VBox instead
Navarroone
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Navarroone »

Hi Harry,

in the last 5 years, have you managed to update to incorporate the popular Garmin Glo for faster GSP refresh?

Brgds Allan
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Within the 5 years Garmin Glos are available, Garmin has not opened up iOS access to their device for 3rd parties. :-(
For Android, LapTimer accesses the NMEA stream, i.e. is fully integrated.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
HiFiGuy
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by HiFiGuy »

4 1/2 years on, how is the integration now, with Android particularly, when using the Garmin GLO?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Old thread here... The Glo is supported for iOS now too. It has always been supported for Android.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
par2005
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by par2005 »

Sorry to revive the old post.
The Glo is supported for iOS now too
however..

on the website:
The following Mfi devices are not recommended due to missing support: Garmin Glo, GNS (all devices).
Before making a purchase of the application, and moving away from racechrono, which only supports 2-4hz on IOS + GLO,

can someone confirm I will bet getting a good update rate (close to 10hz) with harry lap timer?