Best GPS accessory?

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
Chad-1stgen
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Best GPS accessory?

Post by Chad-1stgen »

I've seen only two methods of use for the Laptimer since my discover today and subsequent research. Either stand alone or with the TomTom Iphone device.

Is TomTom the hands down winner for best accessory to use? Is there any other GPS devices that would increase the accuracy? More specifically, the speed and g-meter accuracy since laptimes sound to be pretty accurate.

Or any devices with better mounting options or stability over the TomTom?

Or any devices that are equivalent to the TomTom one but cheaper?

Just tyring to understand options.

Thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best GPS accessory?

Post by Harry »

Is TomTom the hands down winner for best accessory to use? Is there any other GPS devices that would increase the accuracy? More specifically, the speed and g-meter accuracy since laptimes sound to be pretty accurate.
Yes, currently it is. I update http://web.me.com/hschlangmann/LapTimer ... ility.html frequently to give advise on upcoming new solutions. To get better accuracy / higher update rates currently, you need to jailbreak your iPhone and use BTStack GPS and an external GPS mouse (Qstarz seem to be the most frequent used, providing update rates up to 10 Hz). I hope to get Apple approved solution in cooperation with Bad Elf (use Google to find it) within the next months.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
infinity
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by infinity »

hm, Bad Elf's solution sounds very good. When you gonna implement it into the Laptimer?
Unfortunately you can not use it with the TomTom kit anymore, so you need a new cradle to mount it and record videos :(
Chad-1stgen
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Chad-1stgen »

Cool. Thanks for the replies. Wouold be cool if you can get Apple support to get greater GPS resolution.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Chad-1stgen wrote:Cool. Thanks for the replies. Wouold be cool if you can get Apple support to get greater GPS resolution.
:D Well, at least they have a process to request features.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
TomMurray
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by TomMurray »

Hi Harry,

Is there much chance that the Bad Elf GPS 'won't' get approved for use with Laptimer? I'm very keen to get the update rate up.

Regards,

Tom.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi Tom,

I probably used the wrong wording. The Bad Elf is approved already and works at 1Hz. My statement was / should have been that once I get the Bad Elf / LapTimer communication beyond 1Hz, this will be a Apple approved GPS solution > 1Hz.

Greetings Harald
Image Image Image Image
TomMurray
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by TomMurray »

Thanks mate,

Well that sounds great :D I'm using the RAM mount for a bike and the cradle should allow the use of the Bad Elf GPS.

Will LapTimer be able to utilise the 10hz that the Bad Elf is capable of? Their website says they can get fixes down to 2.5m. What I'm hoping for is some kind of indication of track lines for lap comparison. Have any of the GPS receivers you have used given you an accurate enough update and GPS lock to get fairly precise lap lines?

Cheers,

Tom.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi Tom,

Please check out http://web.me.com/hschlangmann/LapTimer ... uracy.html for a discussion on GPS accuracy. The Bad Elf uses one of the available chips, and will be as good as others are. The nice thing about the Bad Elf is that it is Apple certified, and that it will probably be 'open' for higher update rates. Please be patient on this as I depend on the manufacturer to help me supporting it at heigh rates. I will post as soon as I get more information.

2.5m are a kind of 'best' situation and is hardly realistic in practice.

Greetings Harald
Image Image Image Image
mattDC5R
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by mattDC5R »

just to clarify, does the bad elf work with LapTimer currently but only at ~1Hz or does it not work at all at this time?

I need to get a GPS unit but as im using it on my motorbike the tom tom kit is a little hard to accomodate, would the GNS 5870 MFI be a decent option for a smaller/seperate unit?