RaceBox Mini

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RaceBox Mini

Post by Harry »

Oops, I thought 24.6.2 has been released already. I will check tomorrow!
Image Image Image Image
DrDuke
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by DrDuke »

Harry wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:12 pm Oops, I thought 24.6.2 has been released already. I will check tomorrow!
The acceleration measurement still only works with 1Hz.
Attachments
Leistungsmessung 30-100
Leistungsmessung 30-100
5CF46C25-506B-49B0-B173-62D33295F82A.png (321.29 KiB) Viewed 317933 times
Grot85
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Grot85 »

Last weekend I was on the racetrack in Oschersleben. I mounted my IPhone 7 in my cockpit and 20cm in the bike fairing the new Racebox Mini. I started the LapTimer App (GP Edition v24.6.1) and the app shows a perfect automatically a 25hz connection to the Racebox. If the app starts the laptiming it measures only with the internal 1hz. Where I make the mistake?

My second problem is a display error. It shows a red square in the middle of the timing area. It is impossible to read the laptime. This error happens on my actual IPhone 7 and last year on my old iPhone 5S too. I used both phones in the landscape format.
Last edited by Grot85 on Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The first item is a known issue with the first Racebox integration as implemented in v24.6.1. Version 24.6.2 has this fixed but has been released of Android only so far. I'm behind schedule for iOS, I'm sorry.

For the red square, please send a snapshot. Sounds like an alert or something?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Grot85
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Grot85 »

Ok thank you. Ah ok an alert makes sense. I have the problem, that I can’t make a snapshot. It happen only on racetrack and there I am wearing motorcycle gloves. Is it possible to read the alerts later in the laptime files?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No, alerts are not logged.
Image Image Image Image
RB-spy
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by RB-spy »

Harry, and everyone else, I’m not sure that RaceBox Mini is the right solution, yes their GPS receives 25Hz but I don’t think they actually broadcast that to the device. This is from the FAQ of the manufacturer:

https://imgur.com/a/WmK0BcS

Additionally, beside the point, I asked the manufacturer if the device could be used with Apple Maps (in case anyone was interested) to have better higher rate navigation that is not lagging 1 second behind, and the answer was no.
Last edited by RB-spy on Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The 25 Hz are provided to any app connecting to it by Bluetooth LE. Please keep in mind that the initial LapTimer integration received 25 Hz but stored just 1 Hz. This has been fixed in v24.5.2.

The statement in the link is correct. Accuracy is more important for timing accuracy than rate. So a super accurate 10 Hz device will deliver more precise lap times than one with 20 Hz and low accuracy. I can't comment on the accuracy (of a single fix) for the Mini, that needs to be tested. Please see our compatibility pages http://www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/ios for more information.

Whether a GPS app on iOS uses external sensor data depends on the integration style. In case an external sensor is certified by Apple (Made for iPhone / Mfi), all apps including Apple Maps will use it automatically. In case it is not (like the Mini), the app needs to feature a custom integration like that LapTimer has. For Android, helper apps may be available that feed sensor data into the GPS stack.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
RB-spy
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by RB-spy »

Thank you for your response Harry,

You accidentally answered the other question I indirectly asked, so the accessory has to be Mfi and if it is then Apple Maps would use the external device, but in those cases would they Apple Maps or other apps still update at 10/20Hz or would it be capped still to just 1Hz?

And my apologies I must have been very tired when I read the FAQ, it does in fact state “does” and not “doesn’t” so ignore my post. Honestly, accuracy wise I don’t see any improvements coming unless they use WAAS if you are lucky to catch it and dual band differential connection, which I think something BadElf surveyer has?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

To clarify: Mfi makes all apps use the external sensor, non-Mfi require a custom integration for every app (like Mini / LapTimer).
Whether the update rate increases beyond 1 Hz depends on the device's Mfi implementation. The Dual Skypro delivers 10 Hz just like for a direct integration. The Garmin GLO delivers just 4 or 5 Hz while the device delivers 10 Hz when connected without Mfi. The first gen VBOX Sport delivered the full 20 Hz through Mfi.

My question is whether a 25 Hz rate make any sense for Apple Maps / navigation. I do not think so. This is the main reason there are no smartphone with more the 1 Hz around - for most apps it simple makes no sense.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image