RaceBox Mini

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
DrDuke
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: RaceBox Mini

Post by DrDuke »

Harry wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:00 am No, makes no sense. Other than GPS, smartphone IMU units (gyro, acceleration) are high frequency and high accuracy sensors.

- Harry
Disagree
The smartphone sensor is superior to most others but the mounting is always problematic. I use a ram mount with the short arm and one sucker cup. Maybe a tripod mount would be good enough. The mounted smartphone moves a lot more around compared to the racebox mini which is on top of the roof. Zero relativ movement to the car. Sure my smartphone sensor offers 100Hz but I think the signal quality of the 25Hz from the box has better quality. With a 500 bucks mount the smartphone sensor might deliver better results but that's what a minority buys.
rbono459890
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rbono459890 »

RB-spy wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:24 pm Honestly, accuracy wise I don’t see any improvements coming unless they use WAAS if you are lucky to catch it and dual band differential connection, which I think something BadElf surveyer has?
The RaceBox Mini uses a uBlox NEO-M9N which supports EGNOS, GAGAN, MSAS, and WAAS (refer to product specs at https://content.u-blox.com/sites/defaul ... 014285.pdf)
It's as good as it gets in low-cost GPS modules, with 4 concurrent constellations.

Coming with experience using devices from the NEO-M8x series, this is an excellent choice - in particular at the price point.
Rexton133
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Rexton133 »

I have been doing some testing this week with race box mini and HLT. It appears that HLT receives the signal at 10 Hz rather than the 25Hz that the Race Bok Mini records. I’m just checking that this is correct and I haven’t messed up on a setting somewhere.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Rexton133 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:43 pm I have been doing some testing this week with race box mini and HLT. It appears that HLT receives the signal at 10 Hz rather than the 25Hz that the Race Bok Mini records. I’m just checking that this is correct and I haven’t messed up on a setting somewhere.
No, that's not the expected behavior. LapTimer will skip fixes received in case processing capacity is too low. But this will result in a volatile display of update rate (see GPS View or Sensor List). Please check the rate behavior in GPS View and let us know which hardware you use.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Rexton133
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Rexton133 »

I will test it again tomorrow. How do I get to the GPS View so I can check.
I am using an iPhone 12 Pro Max
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

LapTimer / Analysis / Realtime / GPS
Image Image Image Image
Rexton133
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Rexton133 »

Ok. So did some testing. Checked RaceBox Mini was connected, did a little drive and still at 10Hz. Also noticed the time in the vbo file was 1 hour behind the actual time shown in HLT on the GPS page.

Not sure how to get images up on here but happy to email them to you.

I did a test with just the RaceBox connected and was fine at recording at 25Hz

Forgot to add that when I look at the lap list it says “GPS Sensor internal 1Hz”
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Do you have the latest LapTimer version installed? There has been a bug in integration that resulted in 1 Hz recordings only.
Image Image Image Image
Rexton133
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Rexton133 »

I’m on 24.6.3.179 Build July 26 2022, 11:00:46
iOS 15.6.1
Rexton133
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Rexton133 »

A further quick question.
Where does the time for HLT come from when it is using the phone sensor and does this change when the RaceBox Mini is connected to the GPS instead of the phone.
As I understand it the phone gets its time signal from the mobile carrier. The Race Box Mini gets its time from the GPS signal.