compatibility Laptimer Professional with iPhone3GS 32Go

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
olivierbec
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

compatibility Laptimer Professional with iPhone3GS 32Go

Post by olivierbec »

Hello,

I was driving at LeMans yesterday and I tried Harry Laptimer Professional for the first time.
Apparently I couldn't get a decent gps signal and it didn't recorded any lap. My 3G connexion was fine but I had only 1 red bar on the application with the internal gps.
I drive a Lotus Elise and even tried with the top down to see if I had a better signal but it didn't work.
Today i'm in Paris and it's the same : good 3G connexion on my phone, 1 red bar signal on the application.
Do I necessary have to buy an external GPS (like this one? : http://xgps150.dualav.com/) or should I try something else?

Thank you for your response,

Regards,
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: compatibility Laptimer Professional with iPhone3GS 32Go

Post by Harry »

Hi,

3G mobile network and GPS are not related. The only rleveant topic for automatic timing is GPS. Although the iPhone3GS's GPS is not very good (comparable to the 3G - the 4 / 4S are by far better here), one red bar is definitively below what can be expected. Do you remember if the GPS signal has been reported as "2D cell" or "3D GPS"? Anyway, this will hardly work. My general recommendation for iPhone3G/3GS is to add an external GPS in general, please check http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Compatibility.html for a list and recommendations.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
olivierbec
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by olivierbec »

Thank you for your answer. It's 3D GPS.
If I understand, the application isn't really compatible with a stock Iphone 3G. I wish it was more clear when I bought the app.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No, that's not correct. LapTimer has been developed on and for the iPhone3G. Although GPS is a sensible thing for this iPhone generation, optimizing it's mounting position allows reaching at least yellow, sometimes green display - which is good for timing. My recommendation is getting an external GPS for this generation nevertheless, as these receivers are so much better. In case you never get out of red, it makes probably sense to have it tested.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image