Dual XGPS150 Issues with iPhone X (IOS 12.3.1)

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
RPAltman
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Dual XGPS150 Issues with iPhone X (IOS 12.3.1)

Post by RPAltman »

I am experiencing an issue using my Dual XGPS150 (hardware v1.2.0 updated with v4.2.4 firmware) with Harry's Laptimer on my iPhone X (IOS 12.3.1) and my iPad Mini (IOS 9.3.5). The issue is that the XGPS150 sensor does not appear to maintain a consistent connection with IOS devices.

I have installed Dual SkyPro GPS Status Tool (v3.6.9) to monitor the status of the connection. The Status Tool app shows a good connection until I put the app into the background to launch another app (such as Harry's Laptimer), at which point the Status Tool app indicates "No Connection", before reconnecting in a few seconds once I bring the Status Tool app to the foreground. If I do not launch the Status Tool app, the Sensor List screen within Harry's Laptimer shows the XGPS150 as "Connected @ 5 Hz", then cycles through "Available", "Connected", and "Connected @ X Hz".

I have made sure the DIP switch is set to "Apple", updated the firmware on the XGPS150 to v4.2.4, and tried cycling the power on both devices and the Bluetooth connections several times. I reached out to Dual customer support via email and received the following recommendation:
  • Power off the XGPS
  • Power off the device
  • Wait two minutes
  • Power on the device
  • If you have the XGPS listed under Bluetooth, please forget this device
  • Power on the XGPS
  • Connect through Bluetooth
  • Open Status Tool app
This advice did not resolve my issue.

I have tested the XGPS150 sensor with my Android tablet running Android 5.0.1 (for which I have not purchased Harry's Laptimer) and I am not having the connectivity issue when the Status Tool is put in the background (but I have not yet tested it with Harry's Laptimer), so I believe the issue is isolated to IOS devices. I would prefer to use the IOS devices (as I've already paid $20 for Harry's Laptimer for the IOS platform). Is anyone else having this issue with IOS devices and XGPS150 firmware? Are there other settings that need to be adjusted on IOS devices to use the XGPS150 with Harry's Laptimer (such as putting the phone into airplane mode or turning off WiFi)?

Thanks for your advice.

Rich
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dual XGPS150 Issues with iPhone X (IOS 12.3.1)

Post by Harry »

You must not run the status tool in parallel to LapTimer. Both LapTimer and the tool access the device directly - which is nothing it is designed for. So please kill the status tool to get rid of this conflicts.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
RPAltman
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by RPAltman »

Thanks for the quick reply, Harry. Dual customer support replied via email to me this morning that they're aware of the issue and are working on it.

If I do not launch the Status Tool app, the Sensor List screen within Harry's Laptimer still shows the XGPS150 as "Connected @ 5 Hz", then cycles through "Available", "Connected", and "Connected @ X Hz" if Harry's Laptimer app goes into the background -- even if just to the App Switcher. Is it part of the design that the XGPS will cycle connectivity when Harry's Laptimer app goes into the background? My workaround is to turn off the Auto-Lock setting in Settings > Display and Brightness on the iPhone and leave Harry's Laptimer app running in the foreground while on the track.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

When sent to background, LapTimer disconnects all sensors to allow other apps to access these resources. Most apps are not that sensible - including the Status Tool.

LapTimer needs to be active while in use.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
rbpeirce
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rbpeirce »

Interesting. I was considering getting an add-on GPS because the 1Hz on the iPhone produces weird HLT results in Track Attack. On the other hand, I also have the Apex Pro device. As a direct read-out on the dashboard Apex Pro works fine, but I have never been able to get the iPhone to actually record any data from it. I thought it had something to do with HLT, but apparently not. So, if I get the the XGPS150, how do I set everything up so both the Apex Pro and the HLT software will work and HLT will use the add-on GPS? It appears I need to fire up the AP software, put it in background and fire up the HLT software, connect it to the GPS and keep it in the foreground. Would that work?
2012 Porsche Cayman R
2016 Audi A7