Garmin Glo 2

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
tsapi72
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Garmin Glo 2

Post by tsapi72 »

Good evening,

I am planning to purchase Harry's Laptimer and an external GPS receiver to pair with my android phone.

I read in the compatibility listing that Garmin Glo is fully supported. In the meantime Garmin Glo 2 has been released. I can't find anywhere in the internet, what the differences between the two versions are - the housing seems to be identical and the general specs seem to be the same.

So, I wanted to ask whether Garmin Glo 2 is supported by Harry's Laptimer.

Thanks a lot in advance for any replies.

Vassili
filiphag
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: Garmin Glo 2

Post by filiphag »

I bought an Garmin Glo 2
As for now it is not working on Android at all.
I have raised an support Issue towords Garmin, and got confirmation that they can reproduce the same on Connection issue
It is on My android devices which runs Android 7.0 and Newer hthat i have tested on.

Qoute from my support issue
"I just heard back from engineering. They had already knew about these issues and confirmed that the fix for it is included in 2.10 firmware revision which is already in testing and should be released to customers soon. Apologies for the inconvenience caused in the mean time."

Not even Garmin Pilot there own android app are able to connect to an Garmin Glo 2 on Android.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks for this information. This means their NMEA streaming over Bluetooth SPP is not working at all? And they are compatible with iOS only currently? I'd be interested to hear what the problem description for the support reply has been? Thanks again.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
filiphag
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by filiphag »

I will keep this thread updated.
The Garmin Glo 2 is working on my iPad air, Have only tested with maps on iPad.

I connected the Garmin Glo 2 with USB cable on my computer and could open up the serial port over Bluetooth with putty.
On that connection i could receive NMEA data.

The error message i received on Android trying connect with various apps was
"Connection Failed - read failed, socket might closed or timeout, read ret: -1"
filiphag
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by filiphag »

Seams like some problem with approval of my posts since i am new on the forum.
So i will try again.

Got an new mail from Garmin a support team.

"The 2.10 firmware was just released and can now be installed via the Webupdater software:

https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... p?id=14541"

So i updated my Garmin Glo 2 and then it is working through
Harry's Laptimer
Bluetooth GPS mock driver.
And other applications.
So it only needed an update of the firmware and luckily no change in all 3rd party softwares
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

Good to hear. We do not recommend to use the helper / mock apps provided by GPS adapter manufacturers however. They feed sensor data into Android's location system - which means GPS data is available for all apps. LapTimer on the other hand can access GPS adapters directly. To use an adapter like this, disable the helper / mock app, add the BT device in LapTimer's Sensor List.

Using LapTimer's direct integration, we can make sure all data is available and no unnecessary component is added to the critical path from sensor to LapTimer processing.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
HSV Guy
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by HSV Guy »

Hi, do you guys that are using the Glo 2 with Android have any updates - I assume no issues since the new firmware has come out? I'm planning to buy one myself to use with HLT and was going to post a thread myself before finding this one.

Also are you using the Garmin Friction Mount - if so, does it have a strong enough grip to your dash?
tsapi72
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by tsapi72 »

HSV Guy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:15 am Hi, do you guys that are using the Glo 2 with Android have any updates - I assume no issues since the new firmware has come out? I'm planning to buy one myself to use with HLT and was going to post a thread myself before finding this one.
Hi! I am using Garmin Glo 2 with the firmware update I applied a couple of weeks ago. I run it on a Pixel 3 with the latest Android version and the January security patches.

No problems whatsoever.
HSV Guy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:15 am Also are you using the Garmin Friction Mount - if so, does it have a strong enough grip to your dash?
No, I am not using Garmin Friction Mount. I have to admit, I would show little trust to something holding only with friction anything on the dashboard of my car during a trackday.. :twisted:
HSV Guy
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by HSV Guy »

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it should work for me then.

--edit -- Used the friction mount today and it didn't move at all. I am actually quite impressed at how well it sticks to the dash - mine isn't perfectly smooth so I was wondering if it might move around a bit but doesn't all.
dawischt
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by dawischt »

Hello,

quick one - any chance to get the GLO2 connected to an Iphone and shown in HLT? With Android it is working fine, but not with an Iphone right now?

Regards,

Dawischt