Dual XGPS stuck at 1 Hz

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
alank402
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Dual XGPS stuck at 1 Hz

Post by alank402 »

So I have had this device for a while and it worked quite well at 5 Hz with my old phone.

Now that I am setting up a new phone, I installed a fresh copy of Lap Timer and updated the XGPS firmware to 3.0.3.

I get a connection, but it ALWAYS connects at just 1 Hz. I had thought that the 5 Hz solution was resolved long ago.

I called Dual today and was told that I needed the Sky Pro app on my phone. This has not changed anything.

I also tried sending a code that I unearthed in the forums, but that just made the connection inoperable.

Any ideas?

Toss it and buy the XGPS 160?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dual XGPS stuck at 1 Hz

Post by Harry »

Hi,

The SkyPro app is required to install firmware updates, but will disturb LapTimer operation. But before writing more, are you on Android or iOS?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
alank402
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by alank402 »

Samsung S9 running Android 8.0.0

The Dual unit is XGPS150A updated to firmware 3.0.3 through their Windows app.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please make sure you have the small switch in the appropriate position. There is an iOS and a non iOS setting.
If I remember right, Dual had a special firmware version to allow high (i.e. 4 or 5 Hz depending on the hardware revision) rate. Please search the forum on Dual firmware, we had a link to that firmware version somewhere.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
alank402
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by alank402 »

Yes, the small switch is and has been in the correct position.

All of the links within this forum about the 5Hz versions of the firmware go to dead links on the Dual site. Searching the Dual site only reveals the latest V3.0.3 firmware. I tried to downgrade to v1.3.4 which had worked, but the downgrade has failed at least three times.

I have spent hours reading on this forum to no avail, which is why I have posted asking for help.

So right now I am stuck with the latest firmware only connecting at 1 Hz.

Anyone with other suggestions?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I still have a v1.2.6 firmware file available here. It is the firmware version that introduced 4/5 Hz sampling and the one that has been distributed by Dual through the (now broken) link available here on the forum. In case you are adventurous, drop me a mail with "please send Dual XGPS 1.26 firmware" to Harry@gps-laptimer.de and I will send it. I remember the update process has been a pain and worked for some Windows boxes only.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
alank402
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by alank402 »

OK, thanks, email sent.

I walked the Dual XPS over to a Win10 machine and tried downgrading to V1.3.4 again.

I get the same message as on the Win7 machine. After writing the file, the verify routine reports "Read Error at X0500" and immediately starts re-writing.

I'll try the V1.2.6 after you are able to send it. But I'm not hopeful.

I will also call Dual again tomorrow.
alank402
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by alank402 »

Well, this is interesting.

I let the V1.3.4 downgrade keep going through the cycle of writing and reading for about twenty minutes, which always resulted in the same read error.

I assumed that the downgrade had failed.

I waited until it was in read mode and just yanked the XGPS device out of the USB connection. I had to kill the update program through the Windows task manager.

To my surprise, the SkyPro app recognized the device and reported firmware V1.3.4.

I then killed the SkyPro app on the Samsung S9.

LapTimer now reports the XGPS is functioning at 5 Hz!!!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Good to hear!
Image Image Image Image
alank402
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by alank402 »

And thanks for V1.2.6. I will keep it for future use.