Bad Elf GPS tested on motorcycle.

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
TomMurray
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Bad Elf GPS tested on motorcycle.

Post by TomMurray »

Just wanted to note that today I tested the Bad Elf GPS on my R1 and it was able to improve accuracy over the iPhone onboard GPS. The accuracy when overlayed on google earth was better and much smoother (I expect a higher update rate to be even better). The GPS fixes were still a bit out but NMEA support may bypass the iPhone filtering (? Harry). It also allowed me to see accurate speeds, with the previous GPS fix causing a few minor issues. If it becomes supported the update rate, NMEA support and satellite view will make it a great accessory.

I mounted it using a RAM fork stem mount with iPhone 4 cradle. The Bad Elf fits with this cradle but I used tape to make sure it stayed in. Has so far (after mucking around with the stem mount) been very secure and position has ensured a good GPS fix.
Mr Fish
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Bad Elf GPS tested on motorcycle.

Post by Mr Fish »

Hopefully Apple will let Bad Elf GPS update at a 10-hz rate soon.... the BAd Elf will be a very good and inexpensive solution for us...
Harry, do you have an idea when this will happen??

rgds

Mr Fish
mass
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by mass »

I believe it is already a 10hz update rate per Bad Elf's web page, as noted in the top right hand corner of the page.

http://bad-elf.com/products/gps/

I don't think it is compatible with Harry's App.... I think it would be awesome if it was. I ride a bike like Murray and with the cable extender, I could safely mount my iPhone in my tail section and the less expensive Bad Elf gps receiver outside. I'm hitting up the track next weekend to test out the app with no external gps antenna.

Murray have you tries this? I'm tryin to find out how accurate the lap timer is (I have the professional version). Some one on this forum stated 6 tenths of a second, but I haven't found any place where the developers have stated that statistic.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The Bad Elf has a 10 Hz chip but does not yet provide it to apps. It is compatible with LapTimer but at one Hz only. The Elfs commited to provide me with the API by next tuesday, I will start integrating it then. The API will enable higher update rates.

Please note that the dongle is plugged into the iPhone, you cannot separate the position you place the iPhone and the dongle. Please check the Compatibility page on www.gps-laptimer.de for a selection of BT solutions.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
TomMurray
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by TomMurray »

Harry,

Is there any chance the new update rates will be available in V 13.3?

Also, my understanding was that the Bad Elf accessory was still able to be used with a 30pin extender cable...?

Mass,

Yes, I've used the laptimer using both the onboard GPS and the Bad Elf GPS. The Bad Elf definitely smoothed out the track line, although on Google Earth it's still a little out. I expect that the higher update rate will help this more. It also got the speeds correct - for some reason it was recording much lower than actual speed.. which I put down to a poor onboard GPS signal.

I found the laptimer feature great to check quickly after passing the start finish line - a nice little reminder that I need to go faster. As yet, I haven't been able to test it against the inbuilt track timer / transponder setup that we use during races. During the next qualifying run I'll set it up to get an idea of just how close it is, and report back. I'll try to remember to have a quick run with and without the Bad Elf.

As a side note, I have not been able to get clear video of laps on the motorcycle. They come out extremely blurred. I don't know if there is any way of getting this sorted or if it's just that the iphone camera can't cope with the vibration. The mount I'm using is very secure, so I don't think that's the issue. If anyone out there has been able to get clear video (at speed) on a bike then I'll be very interested to see what is being done differently.
TomMurray
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by TomMurray »

I checked the lap times on Lap Timer w/ Bad Elf GPS today at the track (Hidden Valley, Darwin, Australia - Yamaha R1), and it was at +/- 0.2 seconds or so from our hardwired track timing system. For practice purposes this is definitely close enough, and I'm hoping that with the Bad Elf API's and higher update rate the accuracy of the timing will be a bit better.
MasterC17
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by MasterC17 »

Harry wrote:The Bad Elf has a 10 Hz chip but does not yet provide it to apps. It is compatible with LapTimer but at one Hz only. The Elfs commited to provide me with the API by next tuesday, I will start integrating it then. The API will enable higher update rates.

Please note that the dongle is plugged into the iPhone, you cannot separate the position you place the iPhone and the dongle. Please check the Compatibility page on http://www.gps-laptimer.de for a selection of BT solutions.

- Harry
So once you integrate the API up to 10Hz update rates will be allowed without being Jailbroken or waiting on Apple?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, once the Elfs provide me with the API, this should work with high update rates without jailbreak.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Duck
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Duck »

Harry, any word on the Bad-Elf APIs yet?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Once I receive it, I'll post. Reminded them again two days ago...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image