Bad Elf GPS tested on motorcycle.

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
TomMurray
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Bad Elf GPS tested on motorcycle.

Post by TomMurray »

STARTED  · 
ADMIN
Brett Hackleman (Founder, Bad Elf) responded  ·  June 24, 2011
Just a quick update… finalizing the SDK which should go out to the early adopters like Harold in the next few weeks. Also working on the Software License Agreement and NDA, a necessary evil unfortunately… Thanks everyone for your patience.

This is the latest message on the website. Just to add to my own personal frustration, I'm being posted interstate in the next couple months, won't be able to get to the track in the meantime and there won't be any tracks nearby that I'll even be able to use Harrys Laptimer and the Bad Elf if/when it works.
mass
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by mass »

TomMurray wrote: This is the latest message on the website. Just to add to my own personal frustration, I'm being posted interstate in the next couple months, won't be able to get to the track in the meantime and there won't be any tracks nearby that I'll even be able to use Harrys Laptimer and the Bad Elf if/when it works.
Hey Tom, I share your frustration with Bad Elf. I bought the Bad Elf product expecting them to support Harry with the API information. The product is pointless unless a higher update rate can be made available. When a higher update rate is provided, I can take on the task of testing. Although the way things are going with Bad Elf you will probably be back near your local tracks before anything ever happens.

On a side note. I also purchased the extended cable for the Bad Elf. This allows me to safely secure my iPhone inside my rear cowel while mounting the less expensive Bad Elf unit to the helmet bracket. This configuration results in the Bad Elf unit to slightly protrude from the gap between the rear cowl/fairings and still have the ability to syncronize with satellites. So far it works well....it has yet to be crash tested (I'm hoping that doesn't happen).
TomMurray
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by TomMurray »

So far it works well....it has yet to be crash tested (I'm hoping that doesn't happen).[/quote]

Amen to that.... If only our crashes could be fixed with an update.
tdott
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tdott »

Any updates? would be great if Harry could get access to the higher refresh rate. I was considering buying one but i think i'll reconsider for now since i also don't like that it doesn't have NMEA support.
mass
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by mass »

^^^^ Still waiting. If you have a motorcycle, it might be a good investment for insurance purposes. The Bad Elf chip with extension cable is cheaper to replace (in case of a crash) than the iPhone. iPhones cost about $500 (without eligible contract renewal) the Bad Elf setup is about $125.
TomMurray
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by TomMurray »

Still nothing from Bad Elf. Absolute fail. As a matter of fact, I think their sales pitch was a con.
kjchristopher
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by kjchristopher »

I'm new to this game, having only just purchased Harry's software (two versions, actually - one for iPad and one for iPhone). I'm trying to envision why they aren't handing out the necessary info. What are the potential downsides to doing so?

KJ
mass
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by mass »

KJ,

F$ck BadElf, they advertise great update rates, but do not allow the iPhone apps or iPhone to use the potential of their product. I have expressed my dissapointment with them on their website, along with others. They are thinking of making their chip bluetooth enabled, which I think would be great for motorcycle track day riders, but I would not feverishly wait for the product, nor entrust them to create a great product. You may want to check out the following product

https://www.emprum.com/ultimate-gps-ipa ... iphone.php

Although it has it's draw backs too, with the chip not yet NMEA supported,it has a 5hz update rate. Good luck to you. Although I am extremely dissapointed in BadElf, I am very happy with Harry's product. I use it every time I'm at the track.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Update on Emprum UltiMate GPS NMEA integration is available here.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Bestlap
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Bestlap »

I got some news from Bad Elf support :
The new utility app is at Apple for review now, and the firmware with 10Hz support via the Core Location APIs will be included in the next release. It's done internally, just doing a bunch of stress testing. It turns out 10Hz is really pushing the limit when you add the iOS packet overheads, ack/response protocol, variations between iOS devices, etc. But things look like they are in good shape.