RaceCapture support

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
silacim3
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

RaceCapture support

Post by silacim3 »

Hi, new member here.

I'm looking at using RaceCapture with HLT mainly because RaceCapture can provide much faster data over CAN than standard OBD, but I couldn't find any info on the latest releases of RaceCapture and whether they are supported by HLT or not.

1- Harry had a detailed post about RaceCapture which referred to RaceCapture Track and RaceCapture Pro Mk2. However, RaceCaputer's current products are RCT Mk2, and RCP Mk3. Are those supported by HLT as well and is one preferred over the other?

2- Between BT and Wifi, is there any preference as to which one to use assuming I have both iPhone and Android phones? Is one faster than the other?

3- RaceCapture can drive the GoPro with their Wifi module. How one would go about setting this up with HLT? Can the Wifi module be used to both drive the GoPro and connect to HLT or should BT module be used in that case and connect the GoPro directly to HLT instead of RaceCapture.

4- Is HLT able to export all channels from RCP to vbo format for data analysis on Circuit Tools.

Thanks in advance.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RaceCapture support

Post by Harry »

They are all supported, but you need to configure it in a way LapTimer understands (see the post mentioned). The MK2 is the only device I have available and use for testing. As RCP devices are heavily customizable, please never expect anything to work "out of the box". You really need to understand channel configuration et al to get things running.

BT is preferable for sensor communication. It is a bit slower than WiFi, but a lot more reliable. WiFi is actually a workaround RCP devices provide: ASL doesn't certify its devices by Apple, so WiFi is needed to connect at all.

If you want to operate the cam using the RCP, I'd suggest to drop the use of LapTimer and go with ASL's tools. They are limited compared to LapTimer, but this is simply getting to complicated and there is too much overlap between the systems.

VBO's set of standard channels is limited to GPS. Everything else differs by devices and and is not standardized. LapTimer adds a number of engine channels we have seen frequently in VBO exports (like RPM), but as I said - this is not standardized stuff.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
schluerfi1978
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by schluerfi1978 »

Hello Harry,
can HLT Version 22 now make use of the gyro and accelerometer data that is supplied by the RaceCapture device? In this older topic from 2017, you mentioned that support for this might be added later: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4244&p=21686&hilit ... ure#p21686 .

With best regards,
Michael
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

That's a low priority in general (i.e. all external sensors). I think for 99% of all LapTimer users, the accelerometer built into the smartphone is fully sufficient. All accessory manufacturers built these IMU sensors into their GPS and OBD devices now. Not sure this makes too much sense except for devices usable standalone (like RCPs).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
silacim3
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by silacim3 »

Thank you Harry, and sorry for the late reply, somehow I wasn't notified of any updates on the thread.

My main interest here is using HLT's features, along with the CAN data (and GPS) provided by RC, so I'm dropping the camera idea and focusing on what's important. CAN is a must for me since OBD2 is quite slow on the MSS54 (E46 M3). Looks like this is the route I'll be going.

One more question, you mentioned that engine data wasn't standardized in VBO exports, but can HLT map the engine channels pulled by RC rfom CAN? The How-To thread suggests that it does.
viewtopic.php?t=4244
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

These are the channels mapped from VBO files:

Code: Select all

"GPSTime",
	"GPSSatellites",
	"GPSLatitude",
	"GPSLongitude",
	"GPSSpeed",
	"GPSHeight",
	"GPSDirection",
	"AccelerationLineal",
	"AccelerationLateral",
	"OBDThrottle",
	"OBDRPM"
This means only throttle and rpm will go in automatically.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
silacim3
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by silacim3 »

Thanks!
silacim3
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by silacim3 »

Harry, one more question if you don't mind.

Do you happen to know if the issue described in this thread, (vbo/CT when using RC) is still existent:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4356

Is this issue only related to RC's GPS data not having enough resolution, or is it the same with other GPS modules like XGPS160 or bad Elf?

I've practically read every thread on HLT and still not sure which route to go, so some advice would be greatly appreciated. I would like to use HLT in real-time but also need to use CT for post-analysis.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

silacim3 wrote:Harry, one more question if you don't mind.

Do you happen to know if the issue described in this thread, (vbo/CT when using RC) is still existent:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4356

Is this issue only related to RC's GPS data not having enough resolution, or is it the same with other GPS modules like XGPS160 or bad Elf?

I've practically read every thread on HLT and still not sure which route to go, so some advice would be greatly appreciated. I would like to use HLT in real-time but also need to use CT for post-analysis.
Please describe the problem you are referencing to.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

I believe the issue is with Circuit Tools calculation of lateral acceleration from RC data. If CT uses yaw rate and speed to calculate lateral acceleration, then a few bad direction data points would lead to bad lateral acceleration numbers that would look much like the graph in the linked forum topic. That doesn't seem to be a problem with my XGPS160, but it was a serious problem with my RC/Track. Maybe they've fixed it now. I wouldn't know because I gave up on my RC/Track some time ago. I wouldn't use an RC GPS at more than 10 Hz.

The VBox Sport is a much better external GPS than the XGPS160 in terms of precision and accuracy. But then it should be for the price they charge.